Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for 9mm, 10mm, .40 S&W, 45acp?

JACKAL

I'm looking for a powder that will be versatile for 9mm, 10mm, .40 S&W, 45acp.

I've been looking at Titegroup, W231, and Unique. What would be perferred to

get as I would like to only get one to start with. Thanks

If you're satisfied with something that will go bang in all the calibers listed any of the powders mentioned will work. If you're looking for a single powder that makes a certain power factor, works for multiple bullet weights and calibers and has a low standard of deviation across the chrono I've not found that answer. I find that powders that perform well in one gun will not deliver the same reults in another of the same caliber. I inventory an array of powders and change depending on the purpose of the load. The info in this forum provides a good starting poing in the search for a particular application.

Depending on bullet weights and the sort of performance you're looking for, Universal Clays can do all those calibers. I've been using it for 9mm and will be doing .45acp with it.

If all you want the gun to do is eject the projectile than almost any powder in the manufacturers tables will do that. If you desire optimum performance then i believe you have to use more than one powder for the cartridges you mentiuoned. I do not reload 10mm but for 9mm and full power loads in 40 S&W I prefer WSF. For light loads in 40 S&W as well as 455 ACP iprefer a faster burning powder such as WST or American Select.

There are multiple powders that will work just fine for all of them, but 10mm is really meant to be shot hot. If you are shooting 10mm at 40 cal levels, it's cheaper to just shoot the 40 cal. This will require a different powder to take advantage of the longer case.

For basic target loads: N320, TG, Solo 1000, Unique, UC, Clays... That probably covers the majority of the choices out there.