Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Capacity of STI 40 140 mag with Dawson +1

an1913t

Just wondering how many rounds I should expect to fit in a factory STI 140 mag with factory spring and follower with a Dawson +1 basepad. I've tried loading a couple and am only getting 16rd with the last almost impossible to get in. Thanks.

A factory 140mm mag with stock follower spring and base plate, should hold 18. With the Dawson pad, 18 or 19. Add a Grams kit and get 19 or 20.

Sometimes the last 3 or 4 rounds are hard to get in... try lightly rapping the magazine up and down on a hard surface in between rounds, you should be a able to get the last few in that way. Or try a loading device.

For STI tubes my favorite and most reliable combintation is to use the ISMI 11 coil spring with a Dawon 40/45 follower and Dawson +1+ SNL pads. I trim the leg off the bottom of the follower and hold 20 tight and 19 reloadable in an STI tube. I have one that holds 20 reloadable. ISMI springs just seem to never wear out. I have had the same springs for over 2 years and they still function fine. My Grams springs on the other hand......not so good about a quarter of that. Bolens spring and followers are hit or miss in STI tubes. If they work they can hold 21. Just about every STI tube I have used them in rollover and bind up the mag. Rocket35 has had great luck with his STI tubes out of the package with Bolens.The +1 Dawson Pads yield 1 round less usually than the +1+ SNL.

Edited by 00bullitt

I have used the Dawson +1 pads, with the Grams 11 coil springs & Grams followers to get 20 rounds reliable. I still use these mags to start a stage where I need to do a reload, but all my reload mags are HSmith mags which hold a RELOADABLE 20 rounds.

Thanks for the info.

I have one Dawson Super Tuned STI 140 that will only hold 17 with a Dawson +1 on it. I haven't measured it to see why it's different from all the others....it works 100% and I just use it as a barney mag. R,

Dawson followers, STI springs and Dawson +1's gives me 19 easy reloadable. Which are my general reload mags. My start mags are the same setup with 2 mags that make the gauge with Dawson SNL's and give me an easy 20+1 start but I have run them at 21+1 in practice. I havent run into any 22 round stages recently but will run that if and when I do.

19 or 20 with STI tube, Grams follower kit and Dawson basepad. 19 is most reliable to reload, but given the ground to cover to the next position, the 20 will reload. . .

Keep in mind the STI tubes/feed lips separation vary in dimension and may require some tweaking to function reliably with 20.