Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just a little heads up about rebar for shotgun clays. Weld a little piece of 1/2" flat stock about 2" long across the top to make a "T". Hang the clay on the T bar, and you get three points of contact, each side of the T, and where the bottom of the skeet rests on the rebar. Just have the rebar leaning back very slightly when it is driven into the ground. This is very simple to make, and the welding is simple. This plan isn't foolproof, in high wind, they can still blow off, but they won't be spinning around and falling off near as much. Also, the little flat stock is pretty tough and will last a long time. You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot, and a couple 24" pieces will make a bunch of stands along with the rebar. If you try it, you will never go back to just rebar, it works that good.

20 round shotgun stage with 4 slugs, unloaded start. PITA or OK? Would you skip it?

I would enjoy this stage either way. I am not sure unloaded start adds too much. The round count is sufficient to where reloads will be a factor anyway. With a loaded start, you are going to have to load 11 after the start assuming no misses. Plus you have to manage slugs and shot.

I would shoot this. I like unloaded starts. I'd probably prefer a 16 round course (five 4-round speed strips = 20 rounds, five speed strips take a lot of belt space - and I don't have much to begin with).

We have many non-USPSA matches and typically have a turnout of 15-30 competitors. We don't offer Open division (no optic or loading tubes allowed) - only offer Limited (but not formally defined). If a Saiga attended I'd be happy to read the course description as "start with no rounds in magazines (attached tubular magazine, or detachable box magazines, all magazines start empty)." Might piss off the Saiga guys...

ac

Edited by ac4wordplay

Why would you want to piss them off?

My statement wasn't made with malice - just a friendly jab for the guys I shoot with regularly. The match I referenced (non-USPSA, "Limited" -type division only, no speed holsters, draw from concealment) has been somewhat of a safe-haven from the arms race, and the idea of participants bringing a box magazine-fed shotgun (allowing fast/easy reloads) to gain competitive advantage over the tube magazine-fed shotguns (bringing the arms race back) is mildly annoying. I'm of the opinion that they belong in Open division.

But, whatever.

ac