Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Auto Glock?

Bigpops

Imagine the wifes surprise yesterday....first stage and she is "double tapping" faster than you can make the noise with your mouth. Needless to say she stopped and had this look - :surprise:

It appears that once the trigger was pulled the first round would fire and then by simply having your finger on the safety lever (or thingy for us technical guys) it would fire off again. Cindi rides the trigger so you sort of get the picture of what happened. I am no gunsmith nor Glock expert but if anyone has any ideas of what we should look for first we would really appreciate it.

The gun is a 34, bone stock (other than a 25 cent trigger job). She was shooting Remington UMC ammo.

Side note.....Thanks to Bill! Never even laid eyes on this guy before in my life and here he was offering her a gun to finish the match. Bill I will not post your last name without your permission but you are the man! Very kind of you. Your a true gentleman and we enjoyed meeting you. Thanks for the intro Tino!

Is this a great sport or what? :cheers:

During the 25 cent trigger job, did you round off the trigger bar where it contacts the striker's leg? Round off the edge of the striker's leg or grind away part of the leg at an angle? Do the job on multiple trigger bars and strikers at the same and then reassemble mix and match parts into different guns?

Odds are it's a mismatch in the amount of contact between the striker and the triggerbar.....

You should be able to assess for this in dry fire: With a completely unloaded gun and no ammo in the vicinity, point the muzzle in a safe direction and pull the trigger. Pin the trigger to the rear as you cycle the slide, release the trigger to the reset point --- hear the striker drop, and you've got a bad trigger.....

The only fix is to replace the trigger bar and/or striker.....

During the 25 cent trigger job, did you round off the trigger bar where it contacts the striker's leg? Round off the edge of the striker's leg or grind away part of the leg at an angle? Do the job on multiple trigger bars and strikers at the same and then reassemble mix and match parts into different guns?

Odds are it's a mismatch in the amount of contact between the striker and the triggerbar.....

You should be able to assess for this in dry fire: With a completely unloaded gun and no ammo in the vicinity, point the muzzle in a safe direction and pull the trigger. Pin the trigger to the rear as you cycle the slide, release the trigger to the reset point --- hear the striker drop, and you've got a bad trigger.....

Thanks Nik! I might have caused the problem. It worked great for approx 1000 rounds after the trigger job. I quess I will leave it for the experts for now on. I will try what you mentioned. :cheers:

I had once managed a trigger job that was perfectly fine in dry fire. I could do the test that you described over and over without a problem and yet the gun would double and tripple in live fire. It took a lot more than $.25 trigger job to get it to that point.

OK fellas, tore it apart and cleaned EVERYTHING! It was pretty clean to begin with as it only had about 30 rounds fired through it since it's last bath. Everything looked great EXCEPT....the firing pin safety (plunger) was binding on the spring. It was very hard to press down and once I opened it up I could see the spring was not seated correctly.

Reassembled and fired 17 rounds with no hiccups. (only 17 since the heavy rains rolled in)

Your thoughts? (please)

Everything looked great EXCEPT....the firing pin safety (plunger) was binding on the spring. It was very hard to press down and once I opened it up I could see the spring was not seated correctly.

Yep! That will do it too!

While working as a Range Saftey Officer, I noticed a new shooter with the same problem. He just purchased a used Glock 17 and it was doubling. He said he cleanded it, but when I tore it down and found a similar problem. The safety plunger spring wasnt seated properly. I reassembled it and it fired correctly.

LP

Everything looked great EXCEPT....the firing pin safety (plunger) was binding on the spring. It was very hard to press down and once I opened it up I could see the spring was not seated correctly.

Yep! That will do it too!

While working as a Range Saftey Officer, I noticed a new shooter with the same problem. He just purchased a used Glock 17 and it was doubling. He said he cleanded it, but when I tore it down and found a similar problem. The safety plunger spring wasnt seated properly. I reassembled it and it fired correctly.

LP

Thanks Larry!

It really scared the Mrs on Sunday. I am not a gun smith but I do want her to have confidence in her gun. This will help.

Then again....the way she has been shooting she may pass me by......perhaps..... :roflol: