Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bedell Compensator

BN91205

Hello Everyone,

Just ordered up the Bedell Compensator from Shooters Connection and got a little too excited to read the fine print. The decription reads: "Bedell Progressive 7 Port Compensator $119.00 7 Port Compensator with ports that get progressively smaller as the amount of gas available diminishes. 4 side ports to eliminate torque , help control muzzle flip & felt recoil. Last side port may be removed for a shorter lighter comp. .685"-40 thread. To fit threaded bull barrels. Available in Steel, Stainless and Titanium.

I have a standard Barsto barrel (non-bull) that my gunsmith will thread - will this work or do I need to change my order? Guess I should have read the description all the way before I ordered. Sorry for the dumb question guys.

Thanks for the help,

Brian

Thanks for the reply Rich! Yeah, the part where it reads "To fit Bull Barrels" kind of threw me off. I waited almost 5 months for the Barsto Gov't 9mm barrel to come and thought damn, I should've done a little more reading and less clicking of the mouse! Guess I should've made sure it was a "cone" type. I put an email out to Chuck immediately after I bought it.

Thanks again,

Brian

Edited by BN91205

If you want to put that comp on a bushing style barrel get a conversion cone from EGW. It is threaded .575 x 40 on the inside to fit the skinny barrel and threaded .685 x 40 on the oustside, just like a bull barrel.

I use both the EGW conversion cone and the Bedell comp when building 4.5" Open pistols. They work great!

Edited by jpl

If you want to put that comp on a bushing style barrel get a conversion cone from EGW. It is threaded .575 x 40 on the inside to fit the skinny barrel and threaded .685 x 40 on the oustside, just like a bull barrel.

I use both the EGW conversion cone and the Bedell comp when building 4.5" Open pistols. They work great!

That sounds like a great idea! I've heard so many great things about the Bedell comp that I wanted to put it on my first Open gun. Question though, does the conversion add a lot of weight to the front of the gun? I'm building it off my dad's old Para frame and I'm trying to keep it on the light side (under 45oz. with a slide mounted Docter).

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it guys!

Brian

The cone conversion should be similar weight to a cone comp, which is what you usually use with a standard diameter threaded barrel.

Will be heavier than bushing comp.

Should be a little lighter than using the full bull barrel.

Thanks for the input guys, probably gonna end up cancelling the order as my gunsmith would prefer a one-piece cone for my project. Gonna look into the ones made by Gans.

Thanks again,

Brian

You can also take a look at EGW's cone comp that is very similar to the Bedell comp.

It has the 575x40 threads that you are looking for and you can get it at either Speed shooters International or directly from EGW.

//Fredrik

PS: Gans comps looks mighty fine as well.

Thanks for the input guys, probably gonna end up cancelling the order as my gunsmith would prefer a one-piece cone for my project. Gonna look into the ones made by Gans.

Thanks again,

Brian