Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where do you rest the trigger guard? WH Index

dubious

Exactly Where on your WH index finger do you rest the trigger guard? I'm shooting a 1911 and I've noticed that the sights align well for me if I rest the bottom of the trigger guard on the middle joint of my WH index finger. Or maybe a little to the left of that (I'm right handed). It seems to me that this is an ideal point to adjust the horizontal positioning of the sites. What are the pros and cons here as you guys see it?

Thanks... total newb here btw....

No, I think he means in a 2handed position so yea, the index knuckle. I generally do the same, but I never really looked at it as a way to adjust the positioning of the sights. I generally don't move my grip too much once I get the index.

Ah. Well, then, that very much depends on what sort of gun I'm shooting. Mostly I tend to worry about mating the heels of my hands where the master hand and support hand meet on the grip. The trigger guard then falls on the support hand index finger wherever it may.

I'd think that, each shooter's hands being different in size, thickness and flexibility, each manufacturer's guns being different, the fit of the gun in the hands and the positioning of each is going to vary (pretty much what Duane was saying).

If I may be so bold, what matters about technique is not the technique, but what it accomplishes. If you ultimately shoot better with your weak hand positioned one way than another, than go for it, though that may not be the ideal for somebody else.