Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metalform 9mm 1911 10rd mags not locking slide back

MTBfarms

• 2 weeks later...

You will have to "adjust" the portion of the follower that is supposed to make contact with the slide stop. Compare the follower on the working mags with the non-working mags. You will see the "stepped down" portion of the working mag follower is closer to the outside of the mag tube. Be careful, because you can break the follower.

Or you can carve a slot in the slide stop's detent face and grind down the contact pad so it won't lock back unless you lock it back.

Yes, that means you need to learn to count. It also means that your immediate action drill is always the same. Mag dump and tap-rack-bang.

The Metalform mags have a little indention in the front of the mag tube. The follower will catch and hang on it. It looks like it is Metalform's attempt at a mag feed ramp kind of like the Springfield ramp. You can do one of two things - remove the dent or polish this area and put a slight bevel on the upper surface of the follower to help it slide over the bump.

OTOH I have found that the Metalform 10 round .38 Super mags run all the time in my Kimber.

I have found that metalform extra capacity mags either all do this or will eventually do this. For me it was a bout 3 months of use. Part of getting the extra capacity is either smaller spring wire or less coils, not sure which. The other brand of 38/9 10 round mags held ten but not loose enough for easy tac reloads. The best extra capacity setup I have found was chip mccormicks. I am currently using them in my 40 SS for 9+1 which in IDPA you are usually better off with anyway. I am gonna assume your shooting IDPA because in USPSA you wouldnt be worried about slidelock. I would just get some standard 9 rounders that work all the time and be done with it. I have been round the block a few times with SS 9mm's in IDPA thinking I had to have 10 +1, then it finally dawned on me I was almost always better off with 9+1 anyway.

:) The 1911 is a wonderful platform that runs and runs, then we come along and change calibers, change capacity, change bullet profiles, etc etc etc. and therein lies 99% of 1911 problems.