Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 S revo chamber diameter

stipo

Howdy. I have an 8-shooter in Super. I'm getting it ready to shoot the Revolver Action Event at the Master's this summer. Minor loads of around 130 PF

I just wonder what size reamers you Super guys use for the chambers.....SAAMI spec or are you a little looser?

Reason for the question: I got three Super autos that all my loaded (admittedly OLD brass) ammo will drop into and bounce in the chamber, but this dang revo has tighter chambers. Factory new bullets will drop in and bounce, but my reloads won't do it! I hate to have to CasePro every piece that goes through the revo as my reason for going Super rather than Special was the "one caliber reloading" syndrome. You know, gonna simplify my life?

I wind up having to shove the rounds down into the chambers with a thumb. I ain't having to speed load, but this is irritating as hell! GRRRRRRRR!!

So.....reamer size?

Thanks, Stipo

If you have a caliper, measure the back of the chambers in your autos, then measure the back of the chambers of the revo.

Then call Dave Manson of Manson reamers and ask what diameter are his .38 super chamber reamers just above the

extractor groove. If they are not bigger than your revo chambers, he can make you one the size you want. Also measure

the holes in the front of the cylinder (throats) and have the pilot made .001 under that size. Gage pins are the best way

to measure all this, but not everyone has those. For the transition between case diameter and bullet diameter, get an

angle like a rimmed cartridge instead of the square shoulder for a rimless. You are headspacing off the moonclips anyway.

That will make it so you can use any weight or profile of bullet and the rounds will drop all the way in unless the chambers

are VERY dirty.