Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 brass preparation only tool head set up 650

bv700p

I have set up one tool head on my 650 just for processing .223 cases and a second for cartridge loading:

Toolhead #1

stage 1 universal decapping die

stage 2 empty

stage 3 case trimmer

stage 4 empty

stage 5 sizing die

Toolhead #2 - set up like normal for cartidge loading (except stage one - empty)

The purpose of this is to: (1) have one toolhead set up to just process large quantities of 223 brass that will decap, trim and size lots of lubed cases; (2) I only have to lube the cases once (since the trimmer requires lubed cases and so does th sizing die (3) separate the cases preparation process from the cartidge laoding process for increased effeciency - once I have 2-3k cases fully ready for loading I can remove the lube (only once) and just change toolheads and load 2-3k rounds without have to worry about lubing cases again months later. Make sense ? anybody else experiment with this ? so far I have had excellent results !

I have set up one tool head on my 650 just for processing .223 cases and a second for cartridge loading:

Toolhead #1

stage 1 universal decapping die

stage 2 empty

stage 3 case trimmer

stage 4 empty

stage 5 sizing die

Toolhead #2 - set up like normal for cartidge loading (except stage one - empty)

The purpose of this is to: (1) have one toolhead set up to just process large quantities of 223 brass that will decap, trim and size lots of lubed cases; (2) I only have to lube the cases once (since the trimmer requires lubed cases and so does th sizing die (3) separate the cases preparation process from the cartidge laoding process for increased effeciency - once I have 2-3k cases fully ready for loading I can remove the lube (only once) and just change toolheads and load 2-3k rounds without have to worry about lubing cases again months later. Make sense ? anybody else experiment with this ? so far I have had excellent results !

Why not size and deprime on #1 and trim on #2 or #3?

When you put the tool head on to load, put the decapping pin on #1 to be sure the flash hole is clear and load away.

I have the dillon 1200 b trimer and I am just starting that same type of set up

I called dillon and they recommended the same set up as you described .

I asked about the second posts idea and he said you can do it either way.

I felt it was better to size and de-prime in 1 and trim in 3 because there is always

a small amount of case stretch durring the draw out of the expander ball .

His response was to skip the expander ball altogether.

Who else has tried this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

SWandME

ps the idea to put the decap die in 1 on the loading head seems like a great idea to me as well.

another post recommended a neck size die in 1 with a decap pin and do it a second time to be sure there is not dents

durring the banging around in the case feeder.

Is it necessary to size the cases a second time? I thought the trimmer sized/trimmed the cases in one step?

(I just bought a used Dillon trimmer and have not yet set it up)

Thanks

John

I have the dillon 1200 b trimer and I am just starting that same type of set up

I called dillon and they recommended the same set up as you described .

I asked about the second posts idea and he said you can do it either way.

I felt it was better to size and de-prime in 1 and trim in 3 because there is always

a small amount of case stretch durring the draw out of the expander ball .

His response was to skip the expander ball altogether.

Who else has tried this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

SWandME

ps the idea to put the decap die in 1 on the loading head seems like a great idea to me as well.

another post recommended a neck size die in 1 with a decap pin and do it a second time to be sure there is not dents

durring the banging around in the case feeder.

I would resize before trimming. I frequently (if not always) get a longer length case after resizing. If you trim first and then resize, I would expect that you would get different, and inconsistent, case lengths. I always assumed it was because firing bulges the case outward and resizing squezes it back in (and up).

BUT...if Dillon suggested that, I would listen to them before me.

I use the Dillon trimmer on my 223 brass as well. It sits in a single stage RCB atm. I de-cap/size then trim. The trimmer size die part is set so as NOT to touch my cases at all. May setup another toolhead, would probably be faster. I also have a Gracie trimmer I think, which I messed up the set trim length on and now can't get it reset to save my life! Any advice other than sending it back for them to do it?

Steve

I would resize before trimming. I frequently (if not always) get a longer length case after resizing. If you trim first and then resize, I would expect that you would get different, and inconsistent, case lengths. I always assumed it was because firing bulges the case outward and resizing squezes it back in (and up).

The Dillon trimmer sizes the outside of the case at the same time it trims. What it does not do is expand the neck after sizing. That's the purpose of the sizing die in station 5. The decap die goes in station 1 because it should be stronger than a normal sizing die for decapping tough crimped-primer cases.

On the second toolhead, a decap die in station 1 would insure the flash hole has no media stuck in it. Optionally, a neck size die could be used to help case neck alignment as well as clean out the flash holes.

I deprime and resize on cheap Lee press then I trim on my RCBS electric trimmer. I

put powder in weighed one at a time then I use my 550b just to seat and crimp. I see no need to expand the neck as all the bullets I've used [Mountain Gold, Hornady 55gr.] seat nicely. I would love to purchase the Dillon trimmer but I can't justify the cost because the only other rifle load I do is 30 carbine and they don't make a trimmer dye for that calibre.

Have you ever tried using a Lyman M-Die to size the inside of the neck? The die also can be adjusted to slightly expand the case mouth for easier and straighter bullet insertion. (see photos) The neck sizing section is .221" and the little raised area used for expanding the case mouth is .226" You can adjust the depth up to approx 1/16" if necessary. Might be nice to use in the final station.

post-1691-1238771245_thumb.jpg

post-1691-1238771106_thumb.jpg

The Dillon trimmer sizes the outside of the case at the same time it trims. What it does not do is expand the neck after sizing. That's the purpose of the sizing die in station 5. The decap die goes in station 1 because it should be stronger than a normal sizing die for decapping tough crimped-primer cases.

On the second toolhead, a decap die in station 1 would insure the flash hole has no media stuck in it. Optionally, a neck size die could be used to help case neck alignment as well as clean out the flash holes.

That's how I set up my 1050. The only issue was the case mouth tension after trimming. I used a Lee Collet die in my loading toolhead, and polished the mandrel undersize. My purpose was to just clear the flash hole and make sure the mouth wasn't too tight.

1.de-cap / resize.

2. trim with 1200B

3. redding neck sizer cleans up the mouth.

dilloncasetrim2.jpg

spray cases with DILLON case lube, dump them in the case feeder, start cranking.

afterward, I tumble for 15mins to clean off lube and shavings.

Done.

then I change out the toolhead with one that has the powder measure, bullet seater, and start loading.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my set up last night

Careful set up with a Case gage took a while but it is a sweet setup .

Station 1 Hornady FL size and deprime with expnder ball reduced to .219 so it will help sraighten out and dented case mouthes but just lightly pass through on the way out to avoid stretching the shoulder ( Dillon Recommended ) .'''

Station 2 and 3 empty

Station 4 Trimmer

Works smooth as butter.

I stated with Cleaned OFB and in less than and hour proccesed over 1000 rounds .

I will run them through the swager and then polish and back to the 650 to fill em up. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I use the two head system and like the first station as the resize station on both heads. When I replace the trim head with the loading head I back the resize die out two turns so I make sure I knock out any cleaning compound stuck in the flash hole and the carbide button makes sure I have expanded the neck to the right size. This works well for me.