Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 9mm sizing die

Jody Waring

I am just wondering something, is it best say to use the EGW U-die, or just look for the best full length sizing die you can get? I find the LEE die does a better job than my Dillon ones, but for some reason in my mind I swear someone told me a long time ago that one of the manufacturers had a really good die that sized practiaclly all the way down, could this be Hornady? I was going to order a few items from EGW and figured I should grab one of their dies while I was at it. I am loading major PF in 9x19 and 9x21. Thanks for any input!

Lee Factory Crimp Die (NOT the Lee Crimp Die) does the crimping and at the same time re-size the finished reloaded round in full length. I use them in all my pistol reload and it works great for me. :)

I am just wondering something, is it best say to use the EGW U-die, or just look for the best full length sizing die you can get? I find the LEE die does a better job than my Dillon ones, but for some reason in my mind I swear someone told me a long time ago that one of the manufacturers had a really good die that sized practiaclly all the way down, could this be Hornady? I was going to order a few items from EGW and figured I should grab one of their dies while I was at it. I am loading major PF in 9x19 and 9x21. Thanks for any input!

Jody - If whatever you're using works now, I'd put that money towards something to put in the cases instead. :) I use a standard Lee sizer and a standard Lee taper crimp, and my ammo runs in all six 9x19s I have, even using Glocked brass...but then they're all Production guns with factory barrels, and may have more generous chambers than your Open guns.

The Redding die might be the one I am thinking of. Revchuck, actually I am not having problems, and you're right as my current means of loading is working just fine. I recently read a thread that talked about bulging cases and I am one to be paranoid so it got me to second guessing if I am taking enough care in reloading my ammo. When I started loading on my 550 I used the Dillon dies- sizing and crimp. At the time, I was neglecting to use my case gauge and I recall a match where I was getting stuck cases, and it turned out to be probally the most horrible match I ever took part in. This is going back to the 175PF days, and I was loading to 180PF in the little 9x21 case. After that episode, (I was just a kid then not even 20 yet) I compared my brass to some 9x19 that was sized with a LEE sizer. I could see a big difference with the length on how much more the LEE die did, so I switched out the Dillon for the LEE one. I did that for a long time, and the older I got, I suppose more mature I became I slowly tried different methods and took more care loading ammo, and I started to resize all of my brass on a single stage and inspect every piece for any flaws, and if I found any, I just tossed it and carried on. A few years ago I had a batch of brass that was from overseas and I was getting split and seperated cases all the time with it. This really made me nervous, and when I simply switched out this brass for other stuff, the problem went away but in the same breath made me nervous of how easy something bad could happen. My little fellow is going to start shooting soon, and even my wife might want to give it a try. I guess what I am getting at is I want to leave nothing to chance, and if there's something extra I can do to help produce top quality ammo, by all means I want to do it. Revchuck, I am going to try using the LEE factory crimp die and see how I make out with that. I appreciate all your guys' input. Thanks!

My standard Lee Sizing does sizes smaller then the Dillon Die. The U-Die is going to work your brass more. Unless you need it I would say Standard Lee or Redding. When I read your first post I immediately thougth "Redding" . Lots or recent positive buzz about the Redding dies being smoother and nicer to work with. I personally don't like the FCD. I have taken it off my press and when I put it back on I could feel it sizing the bullet area of the case. It was not touching the bottom of the case at all. My standard Lee dies (10mm/9mm) size so well that the FCD doesn't ever touch the case at the bottom. All it does is drag (not sure if it's actally sizing) on the bullet area. I case guage all my ammo and it NEVER fails the gauge for sizing. Split causes, burrs, etc. But never for a bulged case in either caliber.

Edit: It doesn't sound like you are case gauging your ammo. You really should get the Dillon case gauge and at least case gauge your match ammo. That would put your mind at rest for sure.

Edited by 98sr20ve

I just dug out my old CP Bullets 9x21 case gauge and it will be on my bench from now on and will definitely use it on match ammo for sure. I think I may pick up a Redding die to check it out. I am glad I started this topic as I am getting some really good feedback. Thanks for replying everyone!

I just dug out my old CP Bullets 9x21 case gauge and it will be on my bench from now on and will definitely use it on match ammo for sure. I think I may pick up a Redding die to check it out. I am glad I started this topic as I am getting some really good feedback. Thanks for replying everyone!

If you get the Redding I would be really interested to hear your thoughts on it. How low it sizes, smoothness.