Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Ipsc (minor)

sensei

Hi to everybody,

i am an Italian Shooter, i have a question for all of you:

what you think about Revolver Division, (in IPSC matches), with a S&W 686, (the cilynder is machined to work with the TK full moon), .38 special shots, in minor ???

(my ammunition, with a SJSP 125 grs. do about 130 power factor), the recoli is very smooth, it don't kick like a Major ammo, but i have to do a lot of Alpha !!!

I would like to know what you think about it.

thank you

DVC

Sensei,

Shooting minor with a revolver is probably the most "fun" you will have at an IPSC match if you are a masochist. :o

Really, it is fun but don't miss!!! And go really fast. But the faster you go, the hotter the cylinder gets making reloads interesting towards the end of a long COF!!!

There will be standing reloads and some creative strategy required. But it is fun...sometimes!!

SRT Driver,

Thank you for your post, you don't think (maybe !!!) i can shot Major with .38 Special ??? or now is the time to think really at a 625 model ????

i make this question because i had shot for five years in Standard Division (with a wonderful Infinity cal .40 sw), and for me is "the first time" with the revolver .....................

(please !!! don't hurt me ..... is the first time !!!! : ) ahahahahahah !!!!

Hi Sensei,

I think shooting minor in Revolver-class is something worth considering (the World Shoot nr.2 shot minor in a 686, and came in second with 84% after revolvergod Jerry M.). And if you want to shoot Major, you can do it with a 686. Some shooters in my country (the Netherlands) shoot major .38 special. They use 200 grain roundnose bullets, made by Haendler & Natermann.

I think minor in a revolver can work. The extra time to get and A instead of a C is minimal, and you don't shoot as fast as the other classes anyways, so it becomes less of an issue.

Bjorn

Thank you Bjorn,

i'll try some reloads, and then i will choice the right way !

Minor (with a minum recoil, but with a necessary precision), or Major (with a more sollecitation, and maybe with more difficulty of re-ingaging targets, to shot the second shot)

I have to train, shot a lot of combination, and then we will see what is the best for my personal style of shooting .......... i think i will need a very long period of training.

thank you again for the informations.

DVC

Dear friends,

i want to try to "trim" some .38 specials brasses, about 5-6 mm. , about 29 mm. to about 23 mm. (like the length of a .38 superauto).

Of course the quantity of powder will change, because the pressure will be up.

The cartridge i want to do, will be a "short .38 special", with a bullet of 125 - 140 grs. with a power factor near 130 - 132.

The advantages will be a faster reload with the fullmoon ( i presume !), and a general better handly of the moons, during the long-courses.

The "only" difficult i have to resolve is, the roll-crimp die (38/357 mag. RCBS), that don't work with this "short" brass, i was thinking to find the dies of the .38 S&W caliber ( i think is more shorter than the 38/357 dies).

What you think about this "strange ................." solution ?

The .38 S&W dies will probably be too large. The bullet diameter of .38/.357 Magnums is .357" jacketed, .358" lead. The .38 S&W runs bullets of .360"-361" Besides, the crimp on a .38 S&W dies is probably going to ne a roll crimp and not a taper crimp. You'll probably have better luck using a taper crimp .38 super die.

I loaded up some Starline 38 Short Colt brass and have had good luck with it my 627 and 686.

I use a standard Dillon 38/357 size die, Redding 38/357 seat die and a Dillon 9x19 taper crimp die.

The 38 Short Colt is basically a 9x19 rimmed. Some ICORE guys have accuracy issues with the short colt. Shoots fine (2 inch groups off bags at 25 yards) for me.

Thank you Tom,

I have seen the Starline catalog right now, and the brasses .38 short Colt are avallable.

Excuse me but i need to know another thing, i use the TK Custom fullmoon (for my 686) .38/.357m, this moons works the same with the .38 short colt ?

Thank you for your help.

ciao

Sensei,

The 38 short colts should work. I used them when doing a little experimenting with them for some guys at ICORE. They fit in my moonclips for an eightshot revo. They were Starline Brass which had a larger groove near the Rim. We only had to make a 120 powerfactor. I made it with HS6 and a 135 grain lead bullet but did not wish to go any higher. A more knowledgeable forum member shared a recipe for a 130 grain Montana bullet with Universal Clays that made 130 Powerfactor. Good luck in your endevours. rdd

Excuse me but i need to know another thing, i use the TK Custom fullmoon (for my 686) .38/.357m, this moons works the same with the .38 short colt ?

Thank you for your help.

ciao

They have been working for me in six shot revos and eight shot revos.

Before you go buying a bunch, email your address and I can send you some to play with. I have something like 2,000 peices of short colt. Sending you 100 wont kill me.

Be in touch.