Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modify a Comp-Tac OWB belt holster?

WickedBag

I have a Comp-Tac OWB belt holster for a M&P Pro that I like, but the angle against my body is slightly off. I do not mean the "cant" angle, but holster is not quite vertical with my body when on the belt. It makes it tough to get a quick draw because I have to lean slightly left to make room for my hand. My Bladetech holsters do not have this issue. I guess the Comp-Tac is a little safer as the muzzle is never pointing at my foot or leg.

Besides the obvious solution of trimming my love handles down, has any one used a heat gun to re-mold a Comp-Tac holster in the belt loop area? I just need a small adjustment to make it more vertical. Comp-Tac had no solution for me which is what I expected considering the holster is made from a single piece of material.

I have a Comp-Tac OWB belt holster for a M&P Pro that I like, but the angle against my body is slightly off. I do not mean the "cant" angle, but holster is not quite vertical with my body when on the belt. It makes it tough to get a quick draw because I have to lean slightly left to make room for my hand. My Bladetech holsters do not have this issue. I guess the Comp-Tac is a little safer as the muzzle is never pointing at my foot or leg.

Besides the obvious solution of trimming my love handles down, has any one used a heat gun to re-mold a Comp-Tac holster in the belt loop area? I just need a small adjustment to make it more vertical. Comp-Tac had no solution for me which is what I expected considering the holster is made from a single piece of material.

I used a heat gun to modify the bottom of my Std M&P holster to make it a slide style holster to fit the M&P Pro. Just work slowly and use low heat.

Edited by kaiserb

I have used a heat gun very judiciously to bend the Kydex as needed. Keep the heat gun well back until you get a feel for how the Kydex responds. Get it too close and you will cause the surface to bubble. Try to heat only the area you want to adjust. You may want to cover the parts you do not want to heat with aluminum foil. Tape to hold the aluminum foil in place is a bad idea. The heat will turn it into a gooey mess. Make small adjustments and allow to cool in between. The Kydex stays hot for longer than you might think.