Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Duane's .45 load

This may belong on the reloading forum but the question is more for Duane, so I'll ask here. I recall you writting about your IDPA .45 load as being a laser-cast bullet. Which bullet and what powder? I just shot a USPSA match [single stack] and had some dirty ammo problems with my 200gr hornady LSWC, W231 loads. Normally my Colt runs flawlessly. I need something cleaner.

Thanks

Ted

This may belong on the reloading forum but the question is more for Duane, so I'll ask here. I recall you writting about your IDPA .45 load as being a laser-cast bullet. Which bullet and what powder? I just shot a USPSA match [single stack] and had some dirty ammo problems with my 200gr hornady LSWC, W231 loads. Normally my Colt runs flawlessly. I need something cleaner.

Thanks

Ted

Lead.....Cleaner.....? I know when I shoot my.45 with missouri 200 LSWC and 4.3 Clays that the gun is nasty after a match but it runs the whole match.

My .45 200 gr SWC with Unique was dirty then went to W231 and found it a lot cleaner. Worked fine in 1911's but still too dirty for 625 revolvers and moon clips so switched the wheel gun to Clays. Now may well switch the Automatics to Clays It's a lot cleaner. Wonder if the odd 1911 feed problem I had was due to the fowling.

Boats

One item of note - Laser Cast bullets require less powder than most other lead bullets. My Kimbers make Major with 3.8 gr of Clays and a 200 gr LC SWC. Go figure? Can't afford to buy them now though. I bought a ton of them from Cabelas before they doubled their prices. I was wondering why Cabelas kept sending me emails wanting me to cancel my back order. Seems like I paid $52M for them delivered.

I've used WW231 and a cast lead swc for years and have never had any problems with reliability. Check your pistol and try someone else's loads to determine where the problem stems from. The 231 and lead are dirty, but not that dirty.

Buddy

Thanks guys! Thanks Duane! To fair with my Colt, it was not clean to start. But, after brushing out the bore in between stages, the gun ran well untill the end of the match. It was, in point of fact, a USPSA match and I was running single stack. I was not used to the high round count of these matches, I was not prepared and I found a weakness in my rig. Will be using a clean gun to start from now on and changing my load to a cleaner one.

I don't think W231 has caused my two 1911's any problems but I do have the odd fail to go to battery. Perhaps 1 in 250. That could be anything. Range brass, short charge, and I run the loads bottom end of the power factor. I was just suprised how much better moon clips drop in 6 chambers that have been using Clays vs W231. 6 at a time seated by gravity is a much more severe test than one round slammed in by a slide.

Right now am loading for Automatics with 231 and Revolvers with Clays. But I may work up some Automatic loads for the 45 & 9 with Clays to see how they go. Thks for the 4.2 recomend.

Boats

I used to use 231 and found it was very dirty also. Changed to WST at 4.9gr. w/ 200 coated lswc. made 173pf out of a 5" 1911 w/ Kart Barrel. Much cleaner than 231. For non laser cast, try 5.7gr of Ramshot Zip w/ same bullett. made 175pf. Clean burning as well. 6.7gr of Universal Clays made about the same power and was very clean burning. Same bullet and gun for all specs.

Hope this gives you a few more options to try. Good luck.

Granderojo

Edited by granderojo