Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up an open shotgun

Fireant

OK, I decided I need an open shotgun even though I'll only shoot a handful of 3gun/multigun matches a year. Should I go the Siaga 12 route or a Benelli M1 s90? I have a chance to get either right now. The Siaga is plain stock and the M1 has the ported barrel and chokes with it. Which would make the best platform for an open SG?

Thanks.

Edited to add

What would I need to add to each?

Edited by Fireant

Fireant,

If both are the same price then no brainer, the Benelli!

If you are worried about price, the Saiga will cost you some (more or less depending on the wish list) to get it competitive, like magazines, magazine funnel/mag well, trigger, trigger housing group, stock, sight, and the list goes on. The Benelli "sounds" like it only needs a couple of things and you can go play. The Saiga will not kick with the right comps on it and will run any ammo vs the Benelli in which calls for at least 3 dram and 1 1/8 oz loads (generally speaking). Now don't get me wrong, I love my Benellis but...

I see/believe the future as the Saiga in at least the Open Division (I just got mine almost done) and love the idea of the magazines vs the tube for reloads. I have the thought process that I am good reloading with magazines already so why not keep that skill set going? I am/was just learning to load with the tube feeders so I can forget that skill set fast!

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

RLTW,

Scott

Saiga's are alot of fun...I got three of them now and one M1. Do the conversion...put on a Polychoke....5 mags (AGP or Surefire...AGP seem better made)...MD 20 rnd drum (cool but not required)....number 2 gas setting shooting Walmart Bulk Federal or Win AA Superhandicap...Rem or Win reduced velocity slugs. You are good to go.

I was in the same boat a while ago. I ordered a couple Saigas and sent one to Jack Travers to be converted into an "Open" gun. I should have it in a few weeks and I will give you a report.

Fireant,

Check out the RandRRacingonline.com and see what they have to offer...lots of cool stuff.

I have put the stock adapter, magazine well, trigger/ar 15 grip on mine so far. He also converted the chokes to Rem-chokes...since I already had a remington, no problems. Robert is shooting the SMM3G this weekend.

To many choices for sure...

RLTW,

Scott

post-14040-1238000207_thumb.jpg

Do you guys do the pistol grip conversion because it is cool or it is faster? I just got a saiga 12 and I am thinking the stock grip is faster to pick up and fire.

I went out and shot it for the first time and I love it. I see the safety lever sucks, you can't put in a magazine with the bolt forward, the sights suck. Do I really have to spend 3 times what I paid for it to make it nice to shoot? I can see from this thread the magwell and mag release need to change. How did you get the picatinny rail on the top? I have a couple of aimpoint comps that I would like to try on this gun.

Rupie,

Understand that making the Saiga SG like we like them is costly but remember, almost any Open SG out there is going to cost you at least $750 to get started. The Saiga is magazine fed so this is faster in my book so now 'I" want to make it more AR feel friendly. Putting an AR Stock adapter is about $60 and I have several stocks laying around. Moving the new trigger forward and putting an AR Grip is just better ergonomics for me. A magazine well is just preference...I have one on my rifle and pistol so? Now a new magazine release is a must...I just use my right thumb and the magazine falls clear...no rocking or having to pull from the gun thanks to the RandR magazine well and tuned magazines. Like you said, the aftermarket safety switch is a must to me. I run a FastFire dot using a RandR mount, I don't want a rail and I want it close to my face for faster seeing of the dot! Are any of these mods really nessisarry? NO but they sure are nice. If you like the stock trigger and stock then by all means use them as they are! I don't know where to find the rails but I know someone out there will...more to follow.

Enjoy the Saiga...I see them as out future...for now!

RLTW,

Scott

The PG conversion looks better but I do not think I could shoot the basic PG any faster than a plain stock Saiga. The mag well (mine is Russian) makes reloads faster as you can load on a closed bolt but with that mod you cannot use the MD 20 rnd drum. The rail is a Ultimak....and can be found at a number of web vendors. Aimpoint Comp may not give you the best cheek weld, but give it a try. I use Burris Fastfires...with no issues.

Edited by THM7

Fireant,

Check out the RandRRacingonline.com and see what they have to offer...lots of cool stuff.

I have put the stock adapter, magazine well, trigger/ar 15 grip on mine so far. He also converted the chokes to Rem-chokes...since I already had a remington, no problems. Robert is shooting the SMM3G this weekend.

To many choices for sure...

RLTW,

Scott

Saw the R&R Racing one at the match yesterday, definitely a slick set up. The stock adapter and AR pistol grip conversion trigger guard interest me the most.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

post-14040-1238000207_thumb.jpg

Do you guys do the pistol grip conversion because it is cool or it is faster? I just got a saiga 12 and I am thinking the stock grip is faster to pick up and fire.

I went out and shot it for the first time and I love it. I see the safety lever sucks, you can't put in a magazine with the bolt forward, the sights suck. Do I really have to spend 3 times what I paid for it to make it nice to shoot? I can see from this thread the magwell and mag release need to change. How did you get the picatinny rail on the top? I have a couple of aimpoint comps that I would like to try on this gun.

Stock fire control parts in the Saiga-12 suck, the trigger leaves a lot to be desired. To use a nicer standard AK trigger you have to do a pistol grip conversion. The parts to do it yourself are about $150.00. I also generally prefer the ergonomics of a pistol grip to a sporter stock.

An Ultimak Rail that you attach to the top of the gas piston tube is $100

A polychoke is about $100

Get 4 10 rounders ($200 total) and a drum ($260) and you should be ready for almost any stage, except for maybe an Ironman stage. (I used 7 or 8 mags on one stage last year.)

If you want to use drums, the mag well cannot be used. Personally I think 20 rounds and not having to reload on most stages is better than a faster reload time (faster by 1-1.5 seconds). Now if the Saiga is allowed in tactical and we're using 8 or 9 round mags, then yes a quick mag change would be better.

I am left handed so I don't find some of the operating control mods necessary as right handed shooters might.

Let me know what kind of wait time you had. I'm thinking of sending it to him.

He quoted me around 60 days and it will probably be a little less. I should have in the next 1-2 weeks. I'm hoping to take it to the Blue Ridge Mountain 3 Gun match.