Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hootie, no Blowfish

Seth

I saw Hootie, no Blowfish!

Darius Rucker played at a small theater in Charlottesville on Thursday supporting his new country CD and my wife and I HAD to go. Aside from the fact that he actually sings very well, has written a lot of good songs, and I really like his new CD, I still hate the song Hold My Hand. HATE.

But fortunately, it was only 4 minutes of 2+ hours. He played a bunch of random stuff too... like Dwight Yoakam's Guitar's and Cadillacs, Bocephus' Family Tradition and even Purple Rain. The guy dances JUST like James Brown too....

A great set of pipes and fun show.

S.

Rucker is rare because he sounds as good in person as he does on the radio. I saw him with Hootie & the Blowfish in 1995 or 1996 in Knoxville at an outdoor concert at the World's Fair Park. It's still one of the best shows I've ever seen live.

I agree wholeheartedly. He was in tune and has a big, powerful voice. He also, OBVIOUSLY, likes his new songs. He sang the hell out of them, like it mattered. The venue held less than 1000 people and I could have hit him with a spit ball if I wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to college with Darius. He and I were in ROTC together. I'll never forget my sophomore year when Darius started ROTC. He was late to class and Col. Humphries was a little torqued. Everyone in the class wanted to be pilots (with a couple of odd missleers). The Col was a fighter pilot. So, Col Humphries asked him what he wanted to do in the Air Force? Darius responds, "Play music." Col. says, "No, as your career." Darius says, "Play music." Col says, "No, what do you want to do in the Air Force?" Darius says, "Play music." By this point, all the "jet jocks" in the class were looking at him like he was a freak or something. I heard Hootie and the Blowfish play their first gig ever...Not very impressive then. The did have a good variation of covers which made them a great party band. Obviously, they improved. I got to see a lot of them (before they got commericalized) working as a bartender in college...You could always count on a party at their house on Green Street after football games. Lots of fun...

Funny note - Many of my friends here in south Carolina have had to do a double-take when they met Nemo...he looks a lot like Darius...

ahhh the memories....dancing on the back of the boat at 96 Wavefest...Hold My Hand being the anthem that summer....I agree, great CD...

BTW: He will be at the House of Blue in Myrtle Beach May 30.... :D

I went to college with Darius. He and I were in ROTC together. I'll never forget my sophomore year when Darius started ROTC. He was late to class and Col. Humphries was a little torqued. Everyone in the class wanted to be pilots (with a couple of odd missleers). The Col was a fighter pilot. So, Col Humphries asked him what he wanted to do in the Air Force? Darius responds, "Play music." Col. says, "No, as your career." Darius says, "Play music." Col says, "No, what do you want to do in the Air Force?" Darius says, "Play music." By this point, all the "jet jocks" in the class were looking at him like he was a freak or something. I heard Hootie and the Blowfish play their first gig ever...Not very impressive then. The did have a good variation of covers which made them a great party band. Obviously, they improved. I got to see a lot of them (before they got commericalized) working as a bartender in college...You could always count on a party at their house on Green Street after football games. Lots of fun...

Funny note - Many of my friends here in south Carolina have had to do a double-take when they met Nemo...he looks a lot like Darius...

Jack I notice you left the dates out. Don't want to give your age away? HaHa! Seriously a cool story.

Jack I notice you left the dates out. Don't want to give your age away? HaHa! Seriously a cool story.

That would be Fall 1985... :surprise: What is really scary is that most of my classmates are retiring now....20 years....I have one friend who is up for General!!! :blink: Crazy... :wacko:

Dave Matthews was the de facto local band to go see when I was in school. He was just a bartender in Charlottesville at UVa in the early 90s and played Traxx every Tuesday night. His first album hit in 1992 and the big national debut around '95.

Hootie used to make the trek up to UVa once in a while to play a gig, but by my 4th ('95) year Cracked Rear View was all the rage and I couldn't stand them. Ironically, the followup albums (Fairweather Johnson and Musical Chairs) were much darker and really good.

Fairweather Johnson is still a favorite.

Don't know where they would get such idea...

post-2776-1239141036_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

B)

Jack,

Scares me to think that we might have been at some of the same parties! Always liked traveling over to Columbia, the girls there fell for the 'Southern Charm' of us country boys easier than the ones at Clemson. And the girls at Winthrop! Was a lot of fun watching Hootie and the Blowfish go from a local bar gig band to the big stage. Like many of the local bar bands they put on a better show that the names that came to play the stadiums and auditoriums.