Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Simple press

Mikej

I am new to re-loading and have a Dillon 650 set-up for 45 ACP. Things are going pretty well and I am learning every time I use it, but I wonder if I might want a single stage press also. I think sometimes I would like to take it slow and just knock out a few rounds to play with. What is a nice simple press that I could add to my bench?

Advertise in the classifieds for a SS press. Any of the name brands will work well if not abused by the previous owner. You will also need dies and possibly a primer seating tool, although you can use the press to prime. I see very little use for a SS press though.

Because of back problems I can only sit at the press or computer for a short time. I'm retired so I can reload 50 at a time and after a couple weeks have all the ammo I need for the season or and experimental run.

FWIW

Richard

PS: I have been reloading for over 30 years and have never regretted giving up my SS press!

+1

I also have a 650, it is a pain to do load development with, and it may be a little overwhelming for someone new to re-loading, but it's really the only press you need.

also if you get a single stage press, you'll also need, a new powder measure, loading blocks, priming tool, dies.

I started on a rock chucker, life was good until I upgraded to a dillon 450. left the rock chucker bolted to the bench for 3 years, never used it, took it off and gave it away.

upgraded to a 650, my old 450 sat there for 6 years, used it maybe once or twice a year, I needed the room, took that one off and gave it away also.

The RCBS Rockchucker, any Redding, and most other name brand single-stage presses should work great.

But if you want a cheap press to load a box of about anything, look at the tiny C-type press made by Lee. When I first started I loaded thousands of rounds on that press, including .338 Win. Mag. cases. I believe that Lee still sells it new for under $25. There should be a few used ones on the internet. The only bad part is you have to unbolt it from the bench to empty spent primers, or you can drill a hole underneath and design your own primer catcher.

A single stage press does come in handy for rifle reloading, de-capping, highly controlled experimental ammo, and other various reloading odd jobs. It makes sense for the full-spectrum reloader to have one. It does not make sense for you to spend a lot of money to acquire one though.

My favorite SS for this position is the Lyman T-Mag turret. You can keep up to 6 dies permanently mounted and just by turning the turret, bring them into position. It's extraordinarily handy to keep a Universal De-Capping Die in place for use at a moment's notice.

Edited by rfwobbly