Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is A 50 Mm Scope Worth The Extra Money???

hey ya'll

it's been a while since i posted here,

i have been thinking really hard about getting that varmit rifle i was talking about.... I have decided on a remington vls in 22-250

I am torn between what scope to buy tho.....

it's either gonna be a

leopold varix3 6.5-20x50mm $1019.95

or

leopold varix3 6.5-20x40mm $889.95

Considering the package will be damned near close to $2500 what $130?????

basically is the 50mm lense worth the extra doe???? obviously weight isnt an issue.......

thanks boys

-gbm-

So, the larger objective lense is just for better lite gathering???? Since this is really a once in a life time purchase and i have the extra cash to go for the 50 mm i think i will,

I live in canada and thus the reason for the higher prices, thats from www.wholesalesports.com and it's the cheapest in canada, it suxs i know but thems the breaks i guess....

any more feedback on the scope????

-gbm-

The size of the objective lens has nothing to do with light gathering. If at all possible, look through different scopes either early in the morning or late in the evening. A really good 32mm scope will outshine an ok 50mm any day.

i notice this between my 3.5-10 x 40 mm leopold and my 3-9x40mm simons whitetale......... Your point is true but almost moot because your not comparing apples to apples........

I am talking about the differnce between the 2 identical leopold scopes in 40mm and 50mm obj. lenses....????

-gbm-

GBM,

Not sure what the import restrictions are but I'm sure you can do a heck of a lot better on that price. I have 3 of the new 6.5x20 M1 tacticals and they are about as bright as you'll get with out dumping twice the money on an S&B or Nightforce. Give Premier Reticles in VA a call they deal in Leupold and should be able to hook you up.