Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with 9mm load

Peakbagr

I have a Smith 952 in 9mm. I looked at Lee, Lyman manuals and Midway's 9mm load book and a few other manuals to get starting and max loads.

My pistol will kick the brass at 4.0gr of 231, under a 122gr LFP cast bullet, but the load won't lock back the slide on the last round. I bumped the load to 4.1gr thru 4.3. At 4.3, it will occasionally lock back.

My concern is that in some of the manuals I've consulted, I'm starting to get toward max loads if I go much further. I'd rather not do that.

Lyman's mentions 4.4 gr as max for a 120gr lead alloy bullet with 231. Another type of allow bullet of the same weight is shown at 4.1gr of 231 is the top. And a jacketed 125 gr bullet's load maxes out at 4.4gr of 231.

I was speaking with the Smith tech on the phone and he's a reloader. He consulted the Hornady book and said my load is light at the max listed there is 5.2gr of 231.

With a match the weekend after next, I'd rather not start at ground zero with load development.

Any of you guys out there work out a good load for 231 in this bullet weight?

The Smith 952 is modelled after a 1911 and it has a heavy stainless steel slide to push.

I'd like a nice accurate load, but right now, will be satisfied with a safe load that will also lock back a heavy slide without being hot.

Can anyone give me an idea of which of the of the competing load data is right? Anyone use a 122gr cast lead bullet with 231? Can I increase the load more without getting close to hot?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The techs at S&W say its 14lbs. I called Wolff's to get some 12lb springs. The woman who answered insisted the 952 takes the identical springs as another Smith model 9mm. I get some clarification by emailing the techline at Wolff and end up in and email back and forth and he says Wolff doesnt' have the specs or springs for a Smith 9mm 952.

At this point, I'd like to know how far up past 4.3 gr I can safely go, in 1gr increments, well before it approaches a max load.

Having an uncommon gun is not the best thing in the world.

4.4 grains 231 with 122 TCL runs my M&P, STI 4.15,Kahr and G34. What weight recoil spring are you running?

4.4 grains 231 with 122 TCL runs my M&P, STI 4.15,Kahr and G34. What weight recoil spring are you running?

1.075 OAL just past the grease groove. Actually , now that I am loading just for my STI I am planning on backing way down . I want to try 3.8 gr and see how that will work for a Steel load.

• 2 weeks later...