Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Problem

cliffwalsh

I was shooting my 627 today to chrono some loads for the southern regional and I noticed the firing pin was stuck in the out position. I could not push it back with my finger. I took it out and put a new on in along with a new spring and the same think happened. It seems to work OK with ammo and only sticks when I dry fire. It has the c&s extended pin.

Anyone have this happen??

Cliff, Tell me you aren't already starting to snivel for excuses. :roflol:

Stop Dry-firing!

Hello Cliff: A few years ago the C&S firing pin did not have enough relief where the retaining pin held it in, the grove needed to be filed slightly longer. Check the new pin before you fire the gun, it it is not below the surface of the recoil shield, the front portion of the grove needs to be lengthened.

bingo.........the firing pin hole is a bushing, and the backside is a sharp 90. the firing pins' got a radius at the base of the pin to the body, and that radius sticks to the 90, you dig? i bet it works now.......maybe........stainless steel basically sux..........

Cliff, how many of the "Silver Bullets" were consumed at "Dave's Supreme Gunsmithing World Headquarters" during your "Work Session" on the Firing Pin Problem??? Was it enough to ENSURE the QUALITY of work that needed to be done???... :roflol: ...I sure HOPE so... :cheers: ...Good Luck this weekend...I won't be there, unfortunately..."Two-Gun" Tony and I will be over in A-Gusta, GA, "Duking It Out" with the LOCALS...Later....mikey357

Mr. Carmoney:

So what would you suggest most smith owners use in their revolvers? What do you feel is the best all around firing pin for competition and duty applications?

Thanks

Robby

See post #13 above. :)

Cliff, how many of the "Silver Bullets" were consumed at "Dave's Supreme Gunsmithing World Headquarters" during your "Work Session" on the Firing Pin Problem??? Was it enough to ENSURE the QUALITY of work that needed to be done???... :roflol: ...I sure HOPE so... :cheers: ...Good Luck this weekend...I won't be there, unfortunately..."Two-Gun" Tony and I will be over in A-Gusta, GA, "Duking It Out" with the LOCALS...Later....mikey357

actually, the 'headquarters' has been moved to 'knob creek'..........

Mr. Carmoney

So Smith sells these titanium extended firing pins? I cannot find them on their website. If I was going to go with an aftermarket one would the Lee pin be better than that of the C and S for reliability and functionality reasons? Sorry about all the questions I have revolvers I just don't know how to fix them in case they break.

Robby

Mr. Carmoney

So Smith sells these titanium extended firing pins? I cannot find them on their website. If I was going to go with an aftermarket one would the Lee pin be better than that of the C and S for reliability and functionality reasons? Sorry about all the questions I have revolvers I just don't know how to fix them in case they break.

Robby

PINMAN, the titanium firing pins can be bought at brownells. They are the older style and are mixed in with the newer ones. You'll have to get some calipers, measure them, then send back the newer short ones and keep the long ones.

Craig

Yeah, and to confuse matters even more, there appears to be yet another generation of S&W factory pins. I received some of these in a recent Brownells order. They appear to be a little shorter than the older pins I like (which is not necessarily a problem), and have a rounded tip. I haven't tried these yet.

I have not seen any of the "good" .495" Ti stock pins in quite some time. With my supply starting to run low, I'm going to need to figure something out. I like the QC of the Randy pins, but I have found I have to increase the mainspring tension a little with those, compared to the "good" stock pins I like. If the new C&S pins are not breaking like the old ones did, and we continue to get good reports from the field, I may have to give them a second look.

Wow that is rough. You know what Mr. Carmoney, If the gun ever breaks horrifically you'll be getting a call lol.

My dad knows how to work on these guns but all these damn parts seem confusing. I just want the most reliable if I ever have to replace something.

Would u say that the Cylinder and slide firing pins are crap?

No, the Randy Lee ones are better quality but I, like mike, can get a lighter trigger pull with the old stock or C&S pins.

The new C&S pins are reliable, no breaking, yet.

Craig

Yeah, and to confuse matters even more, there appears to be yet another generation of S&W factory pins. I received some of these in a recent Brownells order. They appear to be a little shorter than the older pins I like (which is not necessarily a problem), and have a rounded tip. I haven't tried these yet.

I messed around with some of those newest factory pins over the weekend. They actually have a tip that is flattened somewhat. They seemed to work quite well. The more I mess with various firing pins, the more convinced I am that the shape of the tip makes more difference than the length of the pin (which makes perfect sense if you think about it).