Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggestions For A Second Sti Limited

SimonM

Hello!

I've been thinking about getting another STI for limited class. I've been using an Edge (.40) model for the past season and have been guite happy with it. However, I'm considering getting another STI, but I'm not sure which one. I've decided that I'm not going to get the exact same model, even though the gun would serve as a "competition backup". So the ones I've been thinking are Eagle or Tactical (not the lite model) and the caliber would .40 also. I thought about 9mm because of the steelmatches, but since the pistol will be used for IPSC, the 9 doesn't cut it.

For steelmatches I'd think that the Eagle would be probably be a little more suitable than the heavier Tactical. I shoot under IPSC rules, so the pistol must fit in the box. Otherwise I could have considered a 6" Eagle.

Now here's the things I'd like you to help me with:

I've been reading that some people have traded their heavy framed pistols, like the Edge, for a more lighter ones because they are quicker between targets. I haven't had the chance to try out shortframe STI, so how is it?

And my Edge came with the recoilmaster and I like it. The Tactical also comes with that inside, but the Eagle doesn't. I could get that installed, as well as the magwell, for additional cost, but is it worth it?

Another thing I'm concerned about is, that will I hurt myself by switching back and forth with pistols that are of different weight and have different kind of recoilsystems if I get the Eagle?

BTW, do any of you use fixed sights on your limited guns? I'd like to equip my next pistol with a fixed rearsight and fiber optic frontsight. Any thoughts?

Getting a gunsmith build me a pistol is out guestion as is SVI, because of the availability, so the STI is the one I'm looking for.

I'm sure you have some experiencies with these models, so any comments are deeply appriciated.

Thanks for your patience!

Simon

Simon,

Some suggestions:

I'd try a NON long wide (standard frame .40). I think lighter may be better. Also, if you want to give a try at IDPA you should be able to use it in ESP division. You may need shorter mags (but you'd only need 3) and perhaps take off the magwell. And for IPSC, if you decide you like the long wide better, the short is still a viable backup.

Also, I'd stick with the .40. Even for steel, you'd be amazed at how light you can go and how soft it can shoot.

As for difference, I don't think the weight will throw you off hardly at all. They are the same grip and same angle type, so the difference in feel is minimal.

Sights, I'd stay with the Bomar. Fixed sights are for combat guns, adjustable (when available) are better for competition. What is appealing to you about the fixed sights? The Bomars are generally wider, which is a disadvantage, but it is not big deal to have them trimmed down.

BTW: I wish my STI was not a long wide anymore. The standard frame .40s I've tried handle better and are less front heavy.

-- Bucky.

I don't now that you can have your backup gun be very differnt from your main gun in USPSA.

Better send off an email to Amidon to see if you can change the weight/balance characteristics for your backup gun.

The potentially problem being the shooter that picks a nice heavy gun for the 40y standards type stage, then switches to a light, quick swinging gun for the hoser stage with lots of transition.

I guess it depends on if the Long Wide dust cover is considered an "Advantage". See rule 5.2.6 and 5.2.6.2. Even if it is, you should still be able to go from the Long Wide to the Standard dust cover if a gun breaks.

At the 2002 Factory Gun Nats, my STI was hammer following so I wanted to switch to my friends backup. I had to notify the Range Master, then had to go to Chrono to make sure the backup was making major with my current ammo. The "backup" gun had a lightened slide where my original did not. It didn't seem to matter, though my argument would have been that I saw the lighter slide as a disadvantage for me (no competitive advantage). If I found it to be advantageous, my gun would have it as well.

Thanks for the comments! Sorry it took so long for me to reply, but my computer has been giving me the finger...

Bucky,

I shot a steelmatch this year with my Edge .40, with very light loads, and liked it, but I became interested in how fast a little lighter Eagle would be.

The fixed sight - issue is appealing for me in a way that it's a bit different from my Edge. Even though I want a backup gun for competition, I'd rather not have an identical pistol to my current one. The Tactical is very close; only the finish, the rail and the sights aren't the same. The most important thing is that the pistol has the same grip, safeties etc as my Edge.

One thing I'd like to know if anyone is using an Eagle with a recoilmaster. I'm very interested in how that kind of setup works.

And I would think that an Eagle should be a legal backup in an IPSC match in case the primary pistol craps out. I'm not 100% sure, but pretty confident anyhow.

Thanks again and please tell me more!

You might look at an Eagle with the tri top slide.

Long or short frame is you choice, but I'm a truly believer in "your back up gun should be identical to your match gun" :D

I currently own a STI tactical, the pistol is gorgeous, looks great with that rail cut and the fixed sight, but I'm gonna sell it and buy an Edge or an Eagle.

I can't not get used with the fixed rear sight, it doesn't look like my match gun (an Executive) and I have troubles with the sight picture.

I mean, the set up is great, but I prefer a "bomar" style rear blade.

My next pistol will be an Eagle with long frame unique tri topped slide.

Hey Bucky,

If you want to change your Edge to an Eagle (no long, wide), there is a thread here somewhere that says there's a guy who will do the necessary machining for about $75. Cheaper than buying a new gun, but be prepared for all the naysayers who won't believe your Eagle has "EDGE" written on the slide.

Marvin