Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I don't quite get why some people get all ga-ga eyed

I was looking for a 550 when I ran across a LNL at a screamin' low price. Since then I've used a friends 550 and although a good press it is slower. What does a 650 do that a LNL doesn't? Tickle your undercarriage while you use it?

The free bullets were a DEFINITE bonus. Especially since I got another 300 for the 3 die sets I bought.

The issues I had with blue (not knocking a GREAT company/ product) was that everyone was comparing a 550 with a LNL (non auto vs auto) and I kept hearing that the Blue was so good that folks bought 2 so they did not have to change over the primer system....with my LNL I can change primers from large to small in relatively NO TIME.... so I needed only 1 loader for 9, 40, 10, 45.... (and 1300 FREE bullets...)

I had nothing but trouble getting my free bullets and never ended up getting them. They kept on saying things were missing even though they were on/with the application. After three round trips they returned the application with one of the UPCs missing (the one for the press and 1k free bullets). The bushings wouldn't lock into the press (yes I used a wrench) and they wanted me to mail it back and wait for warranty service. I gave up and returned the press before the return period with MIdwayUSA ran out.

There seems to be quite a few Blue press owners liking the Red press after they have loaded on both. Even though I may receive death threats from the Blue guys; I have used both and liked the Red press the best. It's kinda like a Chevy verses Ford issue. Both are excellent!! :roflol:

Edited by Waldog

The Hornady Lock N Load AP is a direct comparison to the Dillon 650. They are each 5 station auto indexing presses. Each has an optional casefeeder. While the suggested retail for the LNL with case feeder is much higher than a 650 w/feeder, the 'street' price of the LNL w/feeder is substantially lower.

If you pick the right bullet. like the .45acp, your cost would come to under $100 for the LNL. Can't beat that.

• 1 month later...
The Hornady Lock N Load AP is a direct comparison to the Dillon 650. They are each 5 station auto indexing presses. Each has an optional casefeeder. While the suggested retail for the LNL with case feeder is much higher than a 650 w/feeder, the 'street' price of the LNL w/feeder is substantially lower.

If you pick the right bullet. like the .45acp, your cost would come to under $100 for the LNL. Can't beat that.

Bada Bing!!! :cheers:

After watching several videos on YouTube of both Dillon and Hornady LnL in action, I ordered my Hornady. The 1000 bullets in my case is strictly a bonus but it does lower the over all cost.

Yeah, I suppose I will have to do the math myself and poke and prod around on Hornady's site to see if it their L-n-L is all that and a bag of chips, for the price.

As far as the other responses here...well... it just makes me look at how high...err... low their post count is.

That's all. It makes it easier for me to figure out how big a grain of salt I need to take their comments with.

:P

WOW... I've been loading for well over 20 years, and my post count is no where near as high as yours. Guess I don't know what I'm doing then :rolleyes: ( Although there is no post count envy going on here) Good thing you set "me and everyone" else straight.... Guess I've spent to much time loadin' and not enough on the computer...... In my day, we thought hands on expirence counted for something.

You... my friend, are a snob :roflol:

I bought a LNL because I wanted one and it was a good deal. Good sturdy product.... sorry it doesn't make sense to your Blue "High Post Count" ways...... :cheers:

Anyhow.... buy the one you want, for the reasons you want and enjoy it.

Edited by Para 16

Easy fellows. For years before there was red, blue was the only reasonably affordable press that could deliver 1,000 rds an hour. If you were into USPSA, probably a 90% chance you loaded on a Dillon. If a part broke, Dillon got you a new one in the mail and were pleasant to deal with. They sponsored a bunch of well known and well liked shooters. They were unabashedly supportive of all shooters when some big companies were cutting suspect deals, or ignoring the civilian market. They put out not just a catalog, but a magazine with articles better than some of the gun rags. The presses work well when you get them tweaked, but they all have their idiosyncrasies.

Is Red better than Blue? Sounds like maybe it is, I don't know. I know that it is not enough better to tempt me to switch. You can chalk the brand loyalty up to drinking Koolaid, or you can look to what makes a bunch of us Blue at heart.

Bottom line, a wise man once said, "Pick one and practice!" Works for guns and reloaders.

Hornady l-n-l and Dillon 650 both quality machines, own and use both. I would buy the l-n-l for one reason SAFETY, I had a mass detonation of almost 100 primers with the dillon 650 and suffered serious hearing loss. In my opinion the hornady slider priming assembly is much safer than the 650's disk, all primers in my disk fired leading to the tube of about 100 small rifle primers which then detonated.

First I bought the Hornady press because I thought it was better than the Dillon 550 I considered. It was priced at what the 550 was, but in reality you're getting something along the lines of a 650.

1. Bullets were just a nice perk to an excellent press.

2. The Hornady press is a much more simple design.

3. There is plenty of room around it to work.

4. Instead of a caliber conversion plate/kit you have sleeves that your dies screw into.

5. A case feeder is an assessory you can add.

6. Powder measure has the capability to add a micrometer adjustment.

7. When decapping primers they are routed through a tube into the trash can. No primer catch pan you have to empty.