Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light aftec tension only in one gun

Supermoto

I have a 5" gun that recently has started having extraction issues. If I slowly eject an empty case when there is no mag in the gun, the case will fall below the hook. it doesn't happen with all cases, or even most. But if I take that same case and try the same thing through my shorty. the case is held firmly. So it seems like I don't have enough tension.

So;

I changed aftec springs...no change

I switched aftecs with the shorty...no change

I switched firing pin stops with the shorty... no change

The hook, is less than 1/16" from the breechface.

I tried new brass, the case is held a little tighter but not as much as it should be and not as tight as the shorty

I tried super comp and a Comp Aftec and a few of the brand new brass slips below and none is held as tight as I like

If I run a comp extractor, on straight super, it seems to stop the issue

what else should I be looking at?

My Gunsmith said for me to send the gun back with some ammo, I have no doubt he will fix the issue, but before I send the gun, I would like to try everything I can or atleast be able to give him a detailed breakdown of what I have done to try to fix

Thanks

Mike

Is it a Sti Slide in 9mm/38s? If so you may need to tension the aftec slightly. I have only seen this problem on Sti slides. I have not had this issue with caspian or sv slides. You can probably get it to tension correctly but it will just be a little different.

I have installed 2 aftecs in my own open guns so far and in both cases the extractor hooks had to be shortened a bit and polished and the firing pin stops both had to be fit as well. I have not had to do this but the instructions suggest that you MAY have to remove a bit of material from the slide near the breachface. Without a case under the hook is the extractor touching the slide at all?

I have basically the same gun with the same problem. What I was told to do and has worked for me is every so often (after about three matches) I take the Aftec out and put the hook facing up on the work bench and push as hard as I can. You wont think you are doing anything they are really hard, but when you reinstall it you should have the tension you need. Next time I have mine out I'm going to see if removing a little metal at the front inside of the extractor tunnel next to the breach face might fix the problem permanently.