Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

That I grew up around here Rural.

JimmyZip

I like that I grew up here before all the crazy gun laws and the building boom that turned all our rabbit and coyote grounds into golf courses and housing.

Back in the day, if the sherrif's deputy saw you crossing a road with a rifle in your hand (or shotgun) he would stop you and ask where and what you were after, and send you on your way with a TIP on WHERE you could find it. We were out shooting on our own at the ages of 10-11 and beyond. Not one of my shooting buddies got shot accidently while out shooting. (Although I'm sure it happens ask D.C.)

Grew up in the city, Buffalo NY, but rode on the bus to the gun store with my buddy Mike (around 1967) and bought a Marlin .22 bolt action. Told the clerk I didn't want the box and rode home on the bus with it, bolt open.

Later on, Mike and I would carry long guns back and forth to each other's house. Never a problem.

Yep, times have changed.

I remember riding down a road, not a small one either, in Cook County Illinois on my bicycle with a 22 rifle across the handle bars. The Officer that happened to be passing by that day waved as he passed. It was a good day for rabbits.

I passed through a VERY small town a year ago or so. It was right when kids were getting out of school. A bunch of the guys were pulling 22's out from under seats an trunks and piling in the back of pickups to go shoot some rabbits and such. The teacher waved as they drove by. Damn near brought a tear to my eye.