Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Lube

nen

Bill,

What is FP10 - Is that a gun lube or a general lube. Where can I find it? I just searched Slick 50 and found out that Quakerstate at is subsidiaries were taken to court by the FTC over false claims regarding the Slick 50. A a result, I think it has been taken off of the market. I know that noone around here has any. Thanks for the feedback.

JAck

I've been using Mercury Outboard Quicksilver 2 cycle racing oil for several years. It was recommended by a friend that has one of the go fast 2liter Merc engines, and had a problem with carbon deposits on the plugs... this stuff dissipates carbon, works well in an AR bolt as well....It was recommended to the guys up at Crane, at the Naval Surface Weapons lab, and think it did well on the full auto stuff too.... one note of caution, it will dissolve LocTite... dont use it if you have a comp glued on.... regards

slick 50/90 wt. gear oil, thinned up a bit with something thinner. really makes the gun feel slick, mine doesn't really have any metal to metal feel with it on. YMMV..... gotta try some of that slide glide stuff though.......hey, les.......

Guest Larry Cazes

I use slide glide #1 on the top end and synthetic motor oil on the bottom. All synthetic motor oils are way overengineered for this application so any will suffice. I've tried both FP10 and breakfree on the slide but they both run dry after a hundred rounds or so in HOT summer temps whereas the SG stays put. We don't see many days with temps below 45 in N. Cali so low temps are not a problem.

Well, I used my new lube setup this weekend and it is the ticket. I got Mobil !, 0W20. It really stayed thin in the cold and the gun cycled beautifully. I put Slide Glide cut with the Mobil 1 on the recoil spring. I was surprised on my first stage because the pistol was cycling so smoothly - something that hasn't happened since the weather got cold. Anyway, just thought I'd let y'all know. Take care.

Jack