Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

17 HMR ammo for accuracy ?

Flexmoney

This isn't for me...although it sounds like good cheap fun, the more I read on it.

I suggested that it was rimfire ammo..and gave the "gotta try it and see what your gun likes".

Turns out a lot of the ammo...regardless of brand...seems to be made in the same factory (or 2 factories). Still, seems some like certain brands over others (might be a lot/batch difference there too).

What is reported is a nice tight group, and then one right after that that opens up. Could be lots of things (? throw some ideas out...I tried to list a bunch). I don't know if they are shooting off bags or with slings (maybe tightening up on the sling and getting barrel rub?)

- What is a good anti-fouling regiment? 50-50 of Shooter's Choice and Kroil...wet patch for a few passes followed by a dry patch ?? How often?

What I suspect is, wind. A 5mph straight cross will push 1.6in at 100y. 10mph will push 3.3in (from what I've read now)

Cheaper rifles (and they run a $600 claimer on gear) also seem to need some free float. Reports I've read talk of barrel rub.

All in all, sound like a fun little round. I've kinda keep my eyes closed to it since it came out. But, see the benefits of it now. Which of course...got me then looking around. There is also plenty of reloadable (center-fire) versions out ..from 17 Hornets on up to stuff in the 223-17 range. (17HMR pushes a 17g bullet up to 2550fps...some of the other stuff blows that away)

Efficient, quiet small game getters too.

Kyle, get ahold of McDowell, he had some scary small groups out of a Savage. When I was down there, Hornady was the only source.

I'll have to talk to him. Vern has one too, as I recall. I had better be careful. They might talk me into one.

All in all, sound like a fun little round. I've kinda keep my eyes closed to it since it came out.

It seems to be a very popular varmint round. I haven't spoken with him in a while, but a friend has a Thompson Contender (or Encore) rifle and was shooting Hornets (the cartridge, not the insect) at some incredible distances. He was thinking about getting a barrel for the .17, but was less enthusiastic about that because he preferred loading his own.

I've had a 17 Remington for years (went through one barrel) and it's a pretty neat cartridge. My 20gr V-Max load is running 4,320 fps, which is cool, but I'm going to the 25 grain V-Max bullets so I don't loose this barrel so quick. Accuracy has been excellent. I also have one of the Marlin HMRs and it shoots the Hornady ammo best. I had crappy accuracy with a CCI load, so I chrono'd it and found a 100fps spread.

Edited by mscott

also look into .22 squirrel THAT is an impressive little bugger. The HMR's I have owned like a cleaner barrel than my standard 22lrs. I would clean my cooper about every 250rds to maintain the accuracy and even then that was only to make sure I wasn't having any issues. Normal cleaning consisted of wet patches of sweets and then dry patches until clean and clear and then one pass with a wet patch of butch's bore conditioner and then patch that out.

isaac

All kinds of great option out there for the reloadable 17 centerfires. I read a nice write up the other night, while searching for that link, I found this write up: Which .17 ?

Seems like just about any option there is for .22 caliber...there is for the .17 caliber. Kinda neat.

Thanks for all the posts...keep them coming.

My wife and daughter got me this for Christmas.....

http://www.savagearms.com/93r17BTVS.htm

So far I've tried 3 different loads, Hornady Varmint Express, Winchester 17HMR V-Max, and Federal V-Shok. I found the best results in the same order.

Here is a link to detailed testing of several 17HMR rounds-

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

Edited by Jenkins51

That 17 M2 differs from the 17 HRM.

Seems like the 17 HRM is based off the 22Magnum, whereas the 17 M2 is based off a 22LongRifle. Same 17g bullet...doing 2500fps vs. 2000fps ?

I thought I saw an ad where the M2 ammo was on sale for about half the cost of HRM ammo ?

the mach2 is going the way of the dodo. There is quite a following for that little round but manufacturers have pretty much stopped chambering for it in factory rifles. The manufacturers have been known to cut off their nose to spite their face but... The HMR is the business, we use it exclusively for coyotes here in WA in the close cover.

Isaac