Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want An Svi 2011... Hydracomp? Yes Or No??

PistolPete

I'm thinking of having an SVI built. I want a full dust-cover 2011 double stack most likely in .38 super. I'm trying to decide what options I want. Would you recommend getting the hydracomp barrel or just a standard bushing style barrel? If I'm going to spend the money I want to make sure I get the most for it. If I get the hydra comp barrel will I still be able to shoot in the stock division and will I still be able to use a fiberoptic front sight? These will help aid in my decision.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

I plan on shooting in Limited. I would like to shoot Major and not Minor. I would rather compete with the big-boys because that is the way to get better. I've noticed most everyone here is using .38 super. When I went to a match many people were using .40. I currently shoot .45 ACP. So maybe I'd be better off with a .40?

Pete

Not sure where you are that most of the limited guys are shooting super, but the rest of the world is shooting .40 in limited so they can make major. .40 gives you the most ammo you can get and still make major. Only problems with the Hybrid barrels are if you ever decide to switch the barrel you have one replacement choice.

Pete,

You can't use a hybrid barrel with ports in limited, and the hybrid barrel without ports was ruled by the USPSA BOD to be illegal a few years ago. Unless SV has produced the minimum to qualify I don't think this has changed. I know SV was talking about it at Nationals last year but I have not heard that it is legal. Make sure before you get stuck.

I am pretty sure that the gun pictured has been talked about here on the forum. I recall that it was deemed illegal for USPSA Limited.

Pete, if you are asking what gun most use in limited, then that is easy...

You want a 40...long dust-cover...tungsten guide-rod...bull-barreled...2011

So I'm basically looking for the exact same gun that Matt Burkett sells on his site? I just want it in stainless steel. So then the Hydacomp barrel even without the ports would not be allowed. Looks like I may be holding off a bit before placing my order. :wacko:

Before you decide on a full dust cover gun you might want to take a closer look at the short dust cover guns or Benny Hill's 6 inch limited gun. The full dust cover guns are pretty heavy, escpecially with the tungten guide rods in them. You don't really have any more recoil with light guns and they tend to transition faster, which would help out on the steel matches. Just something to think about.

I really like the feel of the SVI with the full dust cover. I know it is quite a bit heavier but I will be able to deal with the added weight.

Does anyone know for sure if the Hydracomp barrel without the ports is legal for IPSC???

I need to find this out before I place an order.

Thanks again,

Pete

Pete,

What is the big attraction to that barrel?

Honestly??? I don't know... LOL I guess if I'm going to spend $2500 for a gun I want it to be somewhat different. Sounds pretty sad I know but I just feel I'm getting more for my money with that barrel setup. Plus, I think it looks pretty cool.

Actually, one of the shooters at my club has this setup except with the ports and the gun is just awesome and I love the way it shoots. I want to get something similiar to his.

A hybrid comp barrel only actually has about 2.5" of actual barrel, I've never directly measured a hybrid comp barrel. Where the ports start you don't get effective burn of the powder and lose the pressure behind the bullet because of the ports, resulting in less velocity over a standard non-ported or even comped barrel.

Which means you have to increase the pressure/powder charge of your ammo that much more to make power factor, even at the new lower power factor you must be extremely careful when loading your ammo.

A hybrid comp gun is extremely efficient in reducing recoil and muzzle flip but it can be a risky alternative to a standard comp or a regular barrel.

Pete,

What is the big attraction to that barrel?

Honestly??? I don't know... LOL I guess if I'm going to spend $2500 for a gun I want it to be somewhat different. Sounds pretty sad I know but I just feel I'm getting more for my money with that barrel setup. Plus, I think it looks pretty cool.

Actually, one of the shooters at my club has this setup except with the ports and the gun is just awesome and I love the way it shoots. I want to get something similiar to his.

Pete,

I am all for being a bit different...

But, if you are spending money that don't come easy...then you had better make sure the gun is functional in the division that you want to shoot in.

For Limited...that means something that resembles an STI EDGE, in 40S&W.

For Open, the gun better look something like an STI Competitor, in some variant of 38 Super.

A new Limited gun should cost under $1800.

SV makes nearly identical guns.

If I could I would buy the STI Edge but it is not legal for sale in Massachussetts. I live in a horrible state where I'm VERY limited to the guns I can buy. The SVI was just approved for sale in this state so that is currently my only option.

If I were to get the hydra comp style barrel it wouldn't affect my ammo because I wouldn't get the barrel with the ports. Thus, there wouldn't be any type of comp on the barrel so my ammo would be the same load as i would with a bushing style barrel.

Pete

If I could I would buy the STI Edge but it is not legal for sale in Massachussetts. Pete

Then get the SV gun that is identical.

Quit screwing around with that "hydracomp" idea. It doesn't seem to be legal in USPSA/IPSC. No way that it it legal in IDPA.

mcoliver,

Pete is in the USA...none of that IPSC Modified stuff applies to his situation. :)

This looks like the gun Pete wants...but, it doesn't seem to be legal in USPSA or IDPA.

I don't know if it would be legal for Steel Challenge or NRA Bianchi Cup?

solid_hybrid_a_350_350.jpg

solid_hybrid_b_350_350.jpg

solid_hybrid_c_350_350.jpg

(Pete...hope I'm not sounding too up-tight. It's your money to spend how you please...for sure. I just wouldn't want you to spend your hard-earned $$$ on something that might end up as a safe-queen.)