Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber's Faux Series-80 "safety"

MBaneACP

If this has already been covered, point me in the right direction. I've always been a pretty big fan of Kimber--I got a bunch of 'em andtey work great. The new 9mm, however, has that faux Series 80 safety stuff in it--squeeze the grip safety, it pushed a lever that's connected to the leg bone, etc.

My problem is that the "meat" part of my palm is pretty small, so I always have to lighten up the grip safety and get the biggest "bump" I can, Ed Brown's works best for me. The new Kimber system seems impervious to this. Unlike the olc Colt Series 80 stuff, I can't figure out a way to rip it all out and go back to what JOHN BROWNING INTENDED!!!!!

Any thoughts?

Michael B

I am working on doing the same thing to my Kimber. The lower pin that contacts the grip safety to activate slides out when you remove the fire control parts. The slide mounted part of the safety appears to only come out if you remove the rear sight. I don't have a sight pusher so I guess I'll have to visit my friendly neighborhood gunsmith to get that done. According to the guys at Kimber you won't need a shim or anything like you would with a Series 80 1911.

-ld

GuyS

Youhave to take the rear sight off-the ones Ive done come off

pretty easy I use a Piece of nylon and give em a couple of taps

and out they come a brass punch will do the same.

Jim Anglin

Sailors custom Pistols

4760 n 7th st.

Omaha ne 68110

402 451 0797

jjanlgin@msn.com B)

I'm trying to replace the grip safety with a Chip McCormick part . . . I'd like to keep all the "safety" gear intact, but when I put the McCormick part in, it won't deactivate the firing pin block.

When I compare to the original, the profiles of the lever are almost identical. But, the lever on the stock Kimber part is a lot thicker than that of the McCormicak (or just about any other grip safety I've seen). Does it have to be that wide to work in the newer Kimbers?

The weird thing is, I took one from a Series I Kimber (without the firing pin safety), and it had an identical lever . . . much thicker. So why would it be in the gun without the firing pin safety . . . it predates their decision to install the firing pin safety.

Am I missing something, or should I just save myself some trouble and send it to Kimber and let them worry over installing an Ed Brown for me?

Thanks, all!

I realized (very) late last night that the rear sight was the key to the system's removal. I'll go pester my friendly local gunsmith this weekend, then install an Ed Brown grip safety and all should be right with the world.

It had extraction problems right out of the box (gee, there's a surprise...a 9mm 1911 with extraction problems!). Since it was a new gun, I sent it back to Kimber on Monday and got it back on Thursday. That's customer service! I'll take it to the range later today.

MB