Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am not alone! yet another New MS Shooter

ger

So my situation is I love to shoot, anything!

I started a little competitive shooting in south AL some 24 years ago, then I discovered paintball , opened a field, started a National Level team and have been playing the circuit and competitively for the last 2 decades and now my body at 47 is about shot from the sport and can no longer keep up with the youth sprinting and diving into bunkers. All this to preface the fact I have rediscovered what I had put off many years ago. And now have been buying stuff like a newb in my paintball store.

Funny thing is I am buying and do not even know what divisions these things can be used in as it seems to have changes so much in 24 years. I still have my pin gun .45 1911. And just purchased a CZ 75 TS Ipsc from a forum member here as well as ghost holsters, etc and because I love shooting I also bought a SX2 for some skeet, a 11-87 and have been tricking it out to do 3 gun (which I have yet to do) and already had a AR but have just ordered trigger kit and mag well to help it out as well.

Only problem is I work the weekends :angry2: field owners problems, but they have a local pistol match down here in Biloxi / Gulfport on the 2nd sat and a 3 gun on the 3rd sat. Great guys but sorta informal and would love to participate at some point in more sanction matches , both for the competition , fun and learning experience. I am a sponge right now and as a person who lives on adrenaline and competition I would love to have links to places I could go and participate in the LA , MS , AL , panhandle area.

Enjoy reading the site and camaraderie that is displayed here.

Gerwin

www.swatpaintball.com

Gerwin,

Welcome to BE and our shooting sports! I live in west Mobile (~10 minutes from the MS line). As for lower AL, the Mobile Pistol Shooters (www.mpsa.org) shoots the 2nd and 4th Saturday's of each month. Unfortunately, our range is located ~20 minutes north of Citronelle, so it's a little over an hour drive from Mobile. Several of us from down this way carpool to the matches, though, and you'd be welcome to join us. We are a USPSA club and shoot a classifier at every match.

We're also planning to have a rifle-only (mostly AR's) match soon, probably in late March, in case you're interested.

As for competition guns, there are as many opinions as shooters. My advice would be to shoot a few matches and look at / try out the gear others are using. Then you can get a better feel for what you'd like to use in competition. The first decision will be which division you'd like to shoot, then you can go from there.

There is also a match in Poplarville at least once a month, and if you go to the USPSA site, you can probably find their information. In the panhandle, there is only one club close (it's in Pensacola), and they shoot Steel Challenge one Sunday per month. NSiess on here is one of their shooters who can provide information if you're interested.

Let me know if you'd like more information.

Gregg Wheat

Edited by chemepharmd

Gerwin,

Welcome to BE and our shooting sports! I live in west Mobile (~10 minutes from the MS line). As for lower AL, the Mobile Pistol Shooters (www.mpsa.org) shoots the 2nd and 4th Saturday's of each month. Unfortunately, our range is located ~20 minutes north of Citronelle, so it's a little over an hour drive from Mobile. Several of us from down this way carpool to the matches, though, and you'd be welcome to join us. We are a USPSA club and shoot a classifier at every match.

We're also planning to have a rifle-only (mostly AR's) match soon, probably in late March, in case you're interested.

As for competition guns, there are as many opinions as shooters. My advice would be to shoot a few matches and look at / try out the gear others are using. Then you can get a better feel for what you'd like to use in competition. The first decision will be which division you'd like to shoot, then you can go from there.

There is also a match in Poplarville at least once a month, and if you go to the USPSA site, you can probably find their information. In the panhandle, there is only one club close (it's in Pensacola), and they shoot Steel Challenge one Sunday per month. NSiess on here is one of their shooters who can provide information if you're interested.

Let me know if you'd like more information.

Gregg Wheat

Perfect! just the info I was hoping I would get. I guess I kinda put the wagon before the horses, I got the gear now I will have to compete in what ever division they fit. But it is all good, I am just ready to shoot. The Saturday thing is the tough part as of work. Can you kinda give me a idea of the time frames...start to finish on a Saturday?

Our Saturday matches usually start around 10 am and finish around 1 to 1:30 pm. Unfortunately, these are probably times that will conflict with your other commitment :angry2: . Because of the long drive, match set-up time, and a stop to eat on the way back, those of us who carpool usually leave Mobile around 7:30 and don't get back until around 3 to 4 pm.

In case you're interested, there are also matches on Tuesday nights at an indoor range in Saraland, about 20 minutes north of Mobile. They're usually pretty fun but somewhat limited due to the size of the range. The matches are not yet USPSA affiliated, although the owner has mentioned that he might do that. They start around 6:30 pm and finish anywhere from 9 to 10:30 pm, depending mostly on number of competitors, which varies from 7 to 20+. The name of the range is Alabama Indoor Marksmen.

If your CZ is a .40 cal, then it will work fine for limited or production. 9mm works best in production. Also, if your pin gun does not have a comp, then it will work well in limited-10 and singlestack. Shoot what you have for now, then decide if you want something else after shooting a few matches.

Welcome to the forum and back to shooting. I shoot with Mobile Pistol Shooters also and look forward to meeting you at one of the matches. You are more than welcome to try out any of my gear at the range. The Mississippi Classic will be in May, maybe you could make that one. John and crew put on a quality match.

Hurley

Our Saturday matches usually start around 10 am and finish around 1 to 1:30 pm. Unfortunately, these are probably times that will conflict with your other commitment :angry2: . Because of the long drive, match set-up time, and a stop to eat on the way back, those of us who carpool usually leave Mobile around 7:30 and don't get back until around 3 to 4 pm.

In case you're interested, there are also matches on Tuesday nights at an indoor range in Saraland, about 20 minutes north of Mobile. They're usually pretty fun but somewhat limited due to the size of the range. The matches are not yet USPSA affiliated, although the owner has mentioned that he might do that. They start around 6:30 pm and finish anywhere from 9 to 10:30 pm, depending mostly on number of competitors, which varies from 7 to 20+. The name of the range is Alabama Indoor Marksmen.

If your CZ is a .40 cal, then it will work fine for limited or production. 9mm works best in production. Also, if your pin gun does not have a comp, then it will work well in limited-10 and singlestack. Shoot what you have for now, then decide if you want something else after shooting a few matches.

First let me say its nice to deal with mature helpful adults and not teenagers and young adults that I am used to in my business dealing! everyone here is helpful beyond compare.

The CZ is a 40 TS IPSC model, single action only with factory mag well. From what I have been reading it seems like I am going to be limited to what I can even shoot this in and I do not think Production is one of them as I read it. And USPSA I am lost but is it only DA/SA?

Then even match sounds like something I can work and the big match in MS is gonna go on my list of get there! and I would like to try and get a Sat off to go with you guys just to learn.

My 1911 does have a comp. but I have alot of guns including other 1911. The pin gun I enjoy shooting and has the little extras that I like and I purchased the big CZ just for playing this sport and figured it would be a good start as I have a CZ75 9mm I have 100%faith in working no mater the ammo or conditions and shoots darts. Of course per my first post I put the Wagon before the horse and spent money not knowing what is permitted etc.

I have always been the competitor that does not mind losing because I am not capable but not losing because my gear is not capable.

....I assume I could drop another barrel in and use my pin gun with out the comp?

Thanks for all the help

Yes, based on that information, the TS is not production legal and will only work in limited. The 9mm should work good in either production or limited (shooting minor), though, if you decide to try one of those. Also, the answer is yes to swapping the barrel out in your pin gun. That would make the gun legal for limited-10 and most likely singlestack as well.

Let me know if you think you'll get to make a match with us, and we can arrange to meet that morning. Our next match is a week from this Saturday. I have guns and gear for every division, and you're welcome to use any of them in a match or try them out after a match.

If you want to go to a state match, I'd definitely recommend the MS Classic. It's one of the best matches in this part of the country, with a great group putting it on.

Edited by chemepharmd

If you don't mind the drive, come on up to Jackson and shoot with us at the Magnolia Rifle & Pistol Club. We are right off of I-55 when you come north to Jackson and we shoot the first Sunday of every month, except this May when we will be holding the MS Classic. Bring whatever you have and we will fit you in a division or fix you up with the stuff to get in one. I personally like REVOLVER, but I don't discriminate against the lesser divisions. :roflol:

I used to have a SW 686 many years ago, back when wheelguns where the standard that police dept. carried. I loved that gun, regret selling it. Was young and needed the money to buy a Sig 226. Geez the ammo for 38 /357 is off the hook!

The Tuesday night shoot, I understand they are not affiliated with any sanctioned groupsm so is it a" shoot what ya brung" type of match?

They pretty much follow USPSA rules and use the same scoring system, but you can certainly shoot what you bring. For instance, they might list the pin gun with a comp on it as open, but it doesn't get sent in to USPSA. Also, since it is a small local match, everyone is scored against each other anyway (it is not broken down into the different divisions). As a good example, I have often shot revolver, and my goal is usually to score 55 - 60% of the top open shooter for the match. I'd bring the pin gun and shoot it to start off. It is certainly allowed, and it isn't going to hurt anything.

Edited by chemepharmd

before the smoke clears, I want to have traveled North , West and East. Its all about the time of the match meshing with my current work. But I am eager to learn and participate. Houma is about 2 hours? from Biloxi. I have some friends that own shell shock paintball down there.

thanks chemepharmd,

Do you shoot the Tuesday night Bama match as well? or just the Sat. matches

I only get to make the Tuesday night match about once a month, but I'm probably going tomorrow night. I'll PM you my contact information in case you want to come over tomorrow. I go to almost all of the Saturday matches.

• 2 weeks later...

went to the Alabama indoor "AIM" Range, for the Tuesday night shot. If anyone is in the area, I recommend it. I drove a hour to a unknown area and met folks that treated me like I was there every night. Great bunch.

Thanks to Gregg for helping learn the ropes.

• 1 month later...
Another new MS shooter here! I'll be at the Mississippi Classic next month. Are there any other USPSA/IPSC clubs near the Jackson area?

Welcome to the forum!

The guys from up that way can give you an answer as to any other ranges, but the range in Byram (where the MS Classic is held every year) is a very good range with good people.