Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berdan primed brass?

Fullauto_Shooter

Don't I feel like an idiot - was thinking I had several hundred pieces of nice .308 brass ready for reloading only to discover that half of it is berdan primed and therefore un-reloadable. AAARRRGGHHH!!!!!

After sorting it all out, I've got a gallon freezer bag half full of this brass. Anybody got a good use for this stuff, aside from recycling it?

Don't I feel like an idiot - was thinking I had several hundred pieces of nice .308 brass ready for reloading only to discover that half of it is berdan primed and therefore un-reloadable. AAARRRGGHHH!!!!!

After sorting it all out, I've got a gallon freezer bag half full of this brass. Anybody got a good use for this stuff, aside from recycling it?

Scrap it. You can get a decapping tool, but, Berdan primers are a different diameter.

Special tools: Berdan Primer Tools (scroll down). Primers hard to find, since they are not the same as Boxer primers (not just diameter). Boxer-primed 308 brass is common.

I have a scrap bag for the South African 308 brass which is Berdan, and is commonly found at our matches.

So - recycle the brass. My recycle bag also has damaged brass which I used to trash but one day I will have enough to actually recycle.

Curious that the Berdan system was invented in the US and the US shuns it while embracing Boxer, and Boxer system is embraced by the US and invented in Europe (England, actually).

Lee

• 4 weeks later...

I've found that berdan primers are larger in diameter than boxer primers so even if you did get the cases deprimed you'd have to find someone who carried new berdan primers so you could reload the brass.

G