Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PRIMERS: small pistol vs small rifle vs small pistol magnum

wksinatl

I'm loading for a G35. I am having problems finding small pistol primers. I am shooting a soft load for steel matches. I'm running a 13# IMSI spring. Cycles 100% of the time. My current load is 165gr Raniers, 3.6grs of WST, and CCI small pistol (standard) primers in mixed brass.

I WANT TO BE SAFE REGARDLESS OF HOW WELL SOMETHING SHOOTS.

Can I work up a load using magnum primers if I do a new workup not just substitute the new primer? Being this is a light load I THINK it can be done safely. Are there any downsides to this idea? I have some CCI magnum primers that I load in a .357 mag so consolidating primers appeals to me.

I see where some shooters use small rifle primers as a substitute for small pistol primers. I THINK the cup may be thicker on a SR then SP so light primer strikes might be a problem.

I load on a Dillon 550b.

I would prefer to use small pistol as designed and call it done but am finding them hard to find.

I've done the searches but haven't really gotten the info I'm looking for.

I appreciate the input,

Keith

Edited by wksinatl

I use Winchester small rifle primers in all pistol loads (that take small primers), I've never had one fail to ignite (even in gamey guns with light mainsprings), and they seem easier to load the primer tubes with than the CCI. I guess the main reason is laziness/inventory control.

Front sight has a report every year on what equipment folks are using, I think Win small rifle primers have topped that list for quite some time.

You can use small Rifle primers in major loads but I would not use them in lighter than major loads you can get breech face erosion caused from the harder rifle primer not sealing in the case when fired and you get blow by at the primer pocket. I use small pistol primers in my major 40's. I have used rifle primers but I prefer the softer pistol primers for this reason.

BK

Edited by bkeeler

Yep, using Small Rifle primers for light loads will/can erode your breechface.

Quick and dirty info.

Small pistol magnums equate, in my experience, are like adding .2grains of powder to the load. Keep the same load and add the small pistol mags and the velocity will go up equal to adding .2 grains....If you want to use them for light loads there will be no problem at all.

This is with Federal primers, so I cant say for certain with other makes.

If you are not running a max load, you will be fine. You will have to chrono to see, but if you need primers buy them and at worst you will load a little less powder....LOL

Hope this helps,

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

It's all about the crono.

In my experience, small pistol mag primers give about 25-30 FPS faster than small pistol.

Rifle primers give about 40 -55 FPS faster than small pistol.

Run the same load in all of them (baseline reloads, NOT close to max pressures) and crono them for the differences.