Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Our Cat is lost

Paul Burtchell

Man, Paul, I'm sorry to hear about Cubby :( The above stories aren't untrue... Its not uncommon for cats to go wander for a while, and then show up acting perturbed that you weren't there to let them in the door precisely when the wanted you to. The cat we had when I was in high school lived to be 21... When he was, like, 18, he went on a month long sojourn, and later came back as if nothing had happened. Cats and dogs are different beasts that way, it seems.

Man, Paul, I'm sorry to hear about Cubby :( The above stories aren't untrue... Its not uncommon for cats to go wander for a while, and then show up acting perturbed that you weren't there to let them in the door precisely when the wanted you to. The cat we had when I was in high school lived to be 21... When he was, like, 18, he went on a month long sojourn, and later came back as if nothing had happened. Cats and dogs are different beasts that way, it seems.

Thanks Dave. We'll keep praying he returns safely. I just don't know how long the old rascal can last without his meds. He was born with only one kidney and it's failing.

Thanks Dave. We'll keep praying he returns safely. I just don't know how long the old rascal can last without his meds. He was born with only one kidney and it's failing.

Your concerns about his meds are well founded, Paul :( I would have the same concern. Sometimes they amaze us with their resiliency, though. Animals are a lot tougher than we are, and than we sometimes give them credit for. Hope he turns up soon.

This afternoon, I am going to put a game camera in the woods behind my vets office and set some food out just to see if Lucky is still in the area. I have to know.

BTW, we call him Lucky because of how he came to live with us. He was part of a litter of feral cats that were born in the parking lot I use at work. When I first saw them, they were only a few weeks old. They were living in a storm drain next to where I parked my truck. One day, we had a really bad storm...flooding etc. I left work and went home. The next day we went to Lowes and when we came home and drove into the driveway, there was this little white kitten in the driveway. When he saw us, he ran back to my truck and got up underneath in the spare tire. Apparently, when the flooding started, he climbed up on my spare tire to get away from the water. Then he road home on the spare tire underneath my truck! :surprise: We figured if he survived all of that, he could hang out with us. the cat actually thought he was a dog...he would play with our labs and go for walks with us. Really funny cat.

I sure hope you find him, Jack.

Paul,

While at a match today, my wife calls. That cat showed up at home this morning!!! :surprise::rolleyes: I am stunned. He walked over 6 miles since Monday! I can't figure out how he knew how to get here? Its not like he'd walked there and then walked back. He literally found his way home on his own. He's dirty and a little skinny, but OK. Wife said that she was in the kitchen this morning and heard meowing at the door. Not knowing what to expect, she opened the door and there he was with a "Feed me now, Dammit!!!" look on his face.

So, there is still hope for you, too. I had honestly written our cat off. Good luck and take care.