Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade Tech

Mikej

My new Blade Tech holster for my 625 5 inch came and was awfully tight. I have loosened it some but wondered how loose you folks use yours. I know this is a hard question to phrase an answer to on a forum. It is hard to describe how something feels, but I thought I would give it a try before I add the loc-tite. Thanks

My Blade Tech revolver holster is one of the competition models that has a knob that you can adjust tension as needed. I tighten it up for a sitting start for example. Most of the time if you turned the holster upside down the gun would fall out.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Mine (regular DOH with tension screws) would probably hold the gun in place if the holster is turned upside down, but barely.

+1. When was the last time you did a handstand at a match?

FWIW, when I got my Blade-Tech 625 holster, it was so tight that I had to loosen it to get my gun back out of it.

• 2 months later...

Be realistic with what you want to do with your gear. I use the same Blade Tech for carry and teaching. "Back in the day" when I was actively competing, we had to use our duty gear, Level 2 security holsters (thumb break, forward rocking motion to free the trigger guard, and tension screws), and were undefeated for 7 years running.

The test for holster retention is this:

verify the gun is unloaded, loosen the tension until the gun falls out when you hold the holster upside-down (over something soft, like your bed) and shake it; then apply more tension to suit your taste.

I paid $80 for one custom made for my v-comp, with the DOH attachment. It took awhile, but they did a nice job.

I put in longer screws, and they have no tension whatsoever. Put blue loctite on every screw!

I also cut the top of it to the limit of uspsa production rules. It's pretty slow to get such a long gun out of, but still the best production legal holster I've seen.

I would think the barrel profile would have to be similar for it to work, it's pretty closely molded. I can't see th v-comp fitting into a 625 holster, but the regular barrel looks much more likely.

The kydex has also made a mess of the finish on the gun, but hey, it's just a tool!

My safariland 002, however, is quicker and felt lined, but I had to put a beer bottle in it and blast it with the wife's hairdryer for awhile to get the gun out at all!

I adjusted my blade-tech to keep the gun in just enough when held upside down.

I also dremmeled a speed cut into it to clear the muzzle a little bit faster but the gun is still stable and secure. I am not worried about dropping the gun but still don't want it to get hooked on anything and get dragged out by accident. The rear sight is not protected anymore but I am not too worried about that as I don't roll around on the ground with it.