Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol For 3 Gun Tactical Class?

Chris,

MA has an "approved firearms roster" which are firearms the State has determined as "safe" and approved for sale. This law was passed as an attempt to get rid of junk guns or "Saturday Night Specials." However, all it really was was a play to ban or limit certain firearms. 1911 type firearms took hit. Right now the only 1911's we can buy from a dealer are Para Ord., SV, and the new S&W 1911 (go figure). The "Roster" was recently updated and SV was added to the list as they have compliant MA and CA guns. In MA they are the Infinity and Traditional. However, both guns are listed in .45ACP only on the approved list. I have no idea why. If the gun is approved, I can's see why the caliber would make any difference. Word of advice....don't move to MA, CA, NJ, or NY. It is going to get worse before it gets better.

Thanks,

Nick-

Add MD & the District to that list. I shot a .45 STI Edge for 1.5 seasons; w/ Clays pushing 200 RNs or 185s, the gun was accurate and as soft shooting as the .40s. Only problem is, you will only get about 15 rounds in a magazine updated w/ the current STI or SV tubes. Sold my gun but I still have 2 Grams-tuned .45 magazines that use the original, shallow rib tubes from the early 1990s; these will reliably hold 16 for a start capacity of 17 rounds - which then puts you fairly close to the guys shooting .40s. Nothing wrong w/ the .45; brass lasts forever & reloading is very simple.

Chris,

If the gun is approved, I can's see why the caliber would make any difference.

I dont know about Ms but in California even finish matters. If they want to sell a gun in blue steel and SS. They have to submit, test, and pay fees for each. No logic. Just obstructionism with a hint of extorsion.

• 2 months later...

Will start shooting 3 gun in 04'. If I shoot the tactical class, what is the most popular pistol. I was thinking a SV .40 or G35 or 22 would be popular choices. Would rather shoot he-man class with .45acp 1911, but if I don't, I was looking for best option for tactical class pistol.

Thanks in advance,

Nick-

Whatever you pick...make sure it running.

And to that I'd add, use which ever one you shoot best with. If one is more comfortable, or shoots better for you, go with that one. I enjoy shooting my Glocks, but I do better with my Paras. Just a matter of personal preference.

I use a Glock 35. I like using a Hi-cap gun because you only have room on you're belt for so many mag pouches. So I wind up with two spare mags for my pistol on my belt all the time and, depending on the stage, room left for a couple spare mags for my AR if needed and I am ready for just about any stage that I might run into.

Most shooters appear to use either Glocks or STI/SV's but in all fairness there are a few competitive shooters that still use single stacks.