Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More sight questions...

scottrebello

Getting ready to change out my Kimber sight to a Dawson FO front and Heine Slant Pro rear. The rear is 125 on the opening and I was wondering what some of you all are using for the front or what your front/rear combos are?? The Dawson options are 100 or 125. I was hoping to be a little smaller on the front but not 25 smaller. I have a 125/115 on a Glock that looks comfortable. Lets here your thoughts...

Thanks Scott

I have played around with quite a few different front blade/rear notch width combos, and continue to do so, so I'd hesitate to put forth a definitive answer. Historically I've gone for a fairly narrow front blade in the .110"-.115" range, with a wide rear notch in the .150"-.165" range. Though I've recently begun playing around with a .125" front/.165" rear combo that I really like.

Anyway, faced with the options you have, I'd either run the .100" front with the .125" rear, or go for the .125" front and widen the rear notch out to at least .150" with a file.

Hope all that helped.

I run a .110 front and .125 rear.

I tried a .090 front and .125 rear but found it was a little to narrow on the front for my liking for long/tight shots.

Found a .015 difference between front and rear is good for me at any distance and tight shots.

:cheers:

BK

Is your Kimber barrel the same leingth as the Glock ? How much light either side of the front sight blade is a function of how far apart the sights are and the size of the blade/notch. I like a lot of light so on shorter sight radius pistols like a Commander need wider rear and narrow front. longer radius it's not as much. 1 inch difference between a Commander and regular Colt 1911 is real obvious when using the same sight notches. Pistols having a short radius don't need a lot of metal removed to make a difference. Something like cutting down a high front sight on a long barrel muzzleloader is not real hard to do and you can't get into much trouble.

Filing is a skill and I would say filing a little bit wider rear sight notch takes more skill than most jobs. Not square and you see it everytime you shoot. Need the right size file and if it has "safe" sides it's better. That is cut on the flat only just 2 sides of the file, or the reverse just the edges if using the file to cut a notch deeper. If not real sure better to get somebody else to do the job. Good Gunsmith will have files ground specificly for the cuts. Some do it with a mill for better precesion and speed.

Boats

I have always found that shooting a narrower front sight gave me more accuracy and speed for IPSC. When shooting more accuracy based games, I find a wider sight is more precise provided I have time to line the shot up, a la bullseye.