Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Precision Adj Sights on my Glock 34-Shots hit high with more ad

DMAC

• 7 months later...

Hi Folks:

Just joined mainly to add to this string.

I have a new Glock 34 onto which I installed an adjustable rear dawson sight with the recommended 0.285 high dawson fiber optic. With the rear sight cranked down as far a it will go I am shooting 7" high at 20 yards. I am not the best shooter but I managed several 2-3" 5 shot groups at 20 yards and they were all averaging about 7-8" high.

I have spoken to Dawson and they are sending me a 0.335 high front sight (thanks to those of you who pointed out that they have front sights taller than .300 as they are not shown on the web page) BUT I really dont want to have such a high front sight due to the holster issues raised. Moreover Dawson tells me that I will still be shooting 1.5" high with the 0.335 sight.

Question: has anyone tried to shorten the rear sight elevation screw so that you can screw down the rear sight further?? I notice that there is quite a bit of play in the rear sight springs that would probably allow the rear sight to be lowered by at least another 0.2-0.4" which may allow me to stay with the 0285 front or a .300 front.

Any thoughts? Any idea why some people seem to have no problem zeroing with 0.285 and others, like me, are 4-8" high?? Someone suggested that the rear adjustable sight from Dawson has changed, any truth to that?

Thanks.

Wolfie

Tampa, FL

Hi Folks:

Just joined mainly to add to this string.

I have a new Glock 34 onto which I installed an adjustable rear dawson sight with the recommended 0.285 high dawson fiber optic. With the rear sight cranked down as far a it will go I am shooting 7" high at 20 yards. I am not the best shooter but I managed several 2-3" 5 shot groups at 20 yards and they were all averaging about 7-8" high.

I have spoken to Dawson and they are sending me a 0.335 high front sight (thanks to those of you who pointed out that they have front sights taller than .300 as they are not shown on the web page) BUT I really dont want to have such a high front sight due to the holster issues raised. Moreover Dawson tells me that I will still be shooting 1.5" high with the 0.335 sight.

Question: has anyone tried to shorten the rear sight elevation screw so that you can screw down the rear sight further?? I notice that there is quite a bit of play in the rear sight springs that would probably allow the rear sight to be lowered by at least another 0.2-0.4" which may allow me to stay with the 0285 front or a .300 front.

Any thoughts? Any idea why some people seem to have no problem zeroing with 0.285 and others, like me, are 4-8" high?? Someone suggested that the rear adjustable sight from Dawson has changed, any truth to that?

Thanks.

Wolfie

Tampa, FL

I use the Dawson fixed sights because of the height of the adjustable sight. They make the front in many sizes so you can get a good zero and once there nothing to break or give problems.

Edited by Flexmoney
fix quote format

I have the same problem on my G34. I originally had the Dawson adj rear and .285" FO front sight on my G17. Then I switched the sights to my G34, and it was hitting 8" high. So I proceeded to brake the head off the screw trying to get the rear sight lower. Dawson was very cool about that and sent me a new screw. They also recommended a .300" front sight.

I purchased and installed a .300" front sight, and now I am only hitting 4" high with a carefully bottomed out rear screw. I didn't know there was antyhting taller at the time, but I also intend to carry it in a Blade-Tech or Ky-Tac holster (I don't remember which I have.)

Any suggestions?

I have one question: Where are you expecting point of impact to be? Behind or on top of the front sight?

I also have one suggestion: Sevigny fixed sights. On my 34s, the shoot everything from 133 pf 147 gr. loads to 124 gr. +P loads to a pumpkin on post impact from five yards to 40 yards....

I expect my POI to be just above the front sight dot.

I should have my 0.335 front sight tomorrow and will install and try by the end of the week and report back. I also ordered an extra rear sight screw so that I could try to cut down the original and see if I can lower the rear that way.

I will let you know if the .335 front sight will fit into the Bladetech holster that I have or if it will require some modifications.

I am attending a Randy Cain tactial hangun course next month so I want to get my equipment working perfectly before hand.

If I cannot solve things soon I will probably go to a fixed rear from Dawson as I am sure they will take back my adjustable; they have been very helpful so far.

Edited by Nik Habicht
Huge text size reduced

I expect my POI to be just above the front sight dot.

That makes sense and makes the problem harder to solve at the same time.....

I didn't have these issues with the Drop in (overhanging) Bo-Mar adjustables I used to run. I tried the Sevigny sights when they hit the market, and decided I preferred them to a real that was overhanging the end of the slide --- so they wound up going on all of my Glocks other than the .45s.....

• 2 weeks later...

Update. So I received the 0.335 front sight from Dawson and took my Glock 34 back to the range. It seems to be shooting deadon at 15-20 yards with rear cranked all the way down using Black Hills 115grain FMJ. I couldn't shoot at 25 since the back lights were out but I will be attending Randy Cain's TH101 course next week so I should have plenty of opportunity to test it out and report back more. I will take my H&K P7M13 as back up, just in case.

As for the holster fit, I have a bladetech holster and, yes, the 0.335 front sight was too high to fit. I took the holster apart and using a torch lighter heated up the front sight grove reccess and then scrape a little out. Took about 5 minutes and the front sight no longer touches the holster. All is good for now.

Okay another quick update.

First, Randy Cain's Tactical Handgun 101 at Southern Exposure in Lakeland, FL was terrific. I cannot say enough about it. Half the class was made up of very experienced shooters who had taken the class several times before. I found this curios but soon understood; you could take this class 3 times a year for the next 10 years and still get something new out of it each time. I am already signed up for the next class.

As to the G34. I had more problems with my Dawson adjustable sights. The rear almost flew off the gun and but for the help and expertise of the class coordinator who is also a gunsmith I would have been done. The gun still shoots about 1.5-2" high at 25 yards. I am planning on going back to fixed sights, probably Heine although I saw that on their web page they acknowleged that some G34 owners have experienced that their guns shoot 2" high at 25 yards with their standard front sight!

I will keep you posted.

For those interested in Randy's class go to www.guntactics.com

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, it's been a year since I had this problem. Everything was fixed with the .300 front sight except I had to take a file to the inside of my Bladetech DOH holster (easy and took about 5 minutes).

This has been working great for about a year now with no problems, issues, etc. I really like my 34 with the Dawson sights. I've thought about having a nice 2011 limited built, but I think I would spend $2-3K and not be any faster or any happier.