Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what powder should I use w/ cast bullets?

Txshooter524

Lots of good powders out there, it's just a matter of preference. With cast bullets I like Vihtavuori because it seems to smoke less than a lot of other brands. Cast bullets will smoke more than FMJ bullets because of the lube on the bullet. Since I shoot a lot indoors the less smoke the better.

http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/pdfs/Reloading-Guide.pdf

There has been a lot of good things said on this forum about clays but I think you are restricted to .45's. I use WST, I also think it feels like it has less recoil. I've been experimenting with Solo 1000 but with other calibers and it seems very good also. Solo 1000 and WST can be used with .45 ,.40 and minor 9mm or .38. Use the H&G 68 200 gr. cast bullet at 1.255 OAL. and 4.8-4.9 grains of WST. It is more accurate in most .45's and cuts a nice clean hole with what seems to be less recoil.

I'm currently trying out Clays and 200 grainers myself, but I've been using TiteGroup and 230 grainers for the past few years, and I've been pleased with it, except that it's a bit too flashy and smokey for night shoots. TiteGroup also works very well with 9mm. Having experimented in .45 with Bullseye, Red Dot, Universal, and probably one or two others, I always end up coming back to TiteGroup. 231 and Unique seems to be the universal answer when I ask what around the club, but those never seem to be in stock when I'm looking for another pound to experiment with...