Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Trimmers

Shawn

Hey any suggestions on a good case trimmer to buy for reasonable money? I keep borrowing my buddies to do 223 and its time to buy one. Anyone see a good deal online? Or one that is durable and worth the extra moo lah..

Shawn the newb..

Hey any suggestions on a good case trimmer to buy for reasonable money? I keep borrowing my buddies to do 223 and its time to buy one. Anyone see a good deal online? Or one that is durable and worth the extra moo lah..

Shawn the newb..

I have had 3 - shoot 4-5 thousand rifle rounds a year. I have used the Wilson trimmer with the Sinclair ad on, a Gracey Match prep trimmer and a RCBS power trimmer with the head that also deburrs and chamfers.

The gracey match prep will also debur and chamfer as it trims.

I now use only the RCBS power trimmer - I feel it gives the most consistant results and is very easy to adjust.

The Gracey is the fastest, but tricky to get adjusted correctly.

I really like the dillon trimmer. It is pretty easy to setup & works great. Plus, if you have a brass feeder on your press, you can just dump in the brass, pull the handle & it is done. No individual handling of each piece.

MLM

I picked up a new but old model RCBS for 50.00 at BImart. lol I love the name of that store. Anyway I took the old 2004 display and told them it was seized up. Which it was but you only need clean and relube to fix. So I think when I get tired of the manual aspect I can get mechanized one. Any online places have good deals?

Im in a penny pincher frame of mind.

Shawn

I really like the dillon trimmer. It is pretty easy to setup & works great. Plus, if you have a brass feeder on your press, you can just dump in the brass, pull the handle & it is done. No individual handling of each piece.

MLM

+1

DILLON 650 and 1200B trimmer

dilloncasetrim2.jpg

MLM

+1

dilloncasetrim2.jpg

Schweeet..

MLM

+1

dilloncasetrim2.jpg

I just have a 550 so I have do it in 2 batches but I use the 1200 and a size die on batch one, run it through, then switch tool heads and load like normal. I resize every time I load, bascially because I process a large batch over the winter.

With the 650, I also use two steps and two tool heads.

the pic above is for processing brass.

clean/tumble, then spray with DILLON case Lube, dump about 500 into the casefeeder.

stage 1 de-primes.

then the 1200B sizes and trims.

Last is a Redding neck sizer.

crank the handle 500 times and toss 'em in the tumbler for 20mins to clean off the lube and shavings.

(I scoot my chair right and crank with my left hand to give the right arm a break)

then change out the toolhead for prime, powder, and bullet seating.

With the 650, I also use two steps and two tool heads.

the pic above is for processing brass.

clean/tumble, then spray with DILLON case Lube, dump about 500 into the casefeeder.

stage 1 de-primes.

then the 1200B sizes and trims.

Last is a Redding neck sizer.

crank the handle 500 times and toss 'em in the tumbler for 20mins to clean off the lube and shavings.

(I scoot my chair right and crank with my left hand to give the right arm a break)

then change out the toolhead for prime, powder, and bullet seating.

Derek's post pretty much says it all. Once you get it set right with a dedicated toolhead, there is nothing else to it.

MLM

I have a Giraud (which is like a Gracey but has removable cutter heads so once adjusted you can leave the cutter alone). It is fast and easy to use. (Think in terms of an electric pencil sharper for cases).

+1 This thing is the cats a$$.

Easy to get 20-30 cases trimmed and chamfered per min.

Mine is on order.