Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Sti Grip Frame

Nolan

The trigger pull on my Open blaster was getting crunchy again so I pulled the grip frame off and found the ITS trigger bow was broken right where the bow attaches to the left side of the trigger shoe(?). That would explain the sometimes crunchy trigger pull. This is the same ITS trigger system that I broke the top of the long flat trigger insert a couple of months ago.

Man, am I cranking on the trigger that hard?

I didn't have a spare ITS trigger bow so I dropped the old STI trigger back in but the trigger bow was dragging on the grip frame. On closer inspection the portion of the grip frame directly over the mag catch screw slot was cracked. It was sticking up into the trigger bow slot dragging on the stock STI trigger bow. Evidently the ITS bow is relieved in that area and doesn't drag. This is the third STI grip frame that I've broken in this area. Is anybody else having this problem.

Man, am I slamming the mags into the gun that hard?

I thought I broke the first two by squeezing the grip too hard, but it sure looks like the mag catch is trying to rotate upwards when I seat the mags and is breaking the plastic grip frame. The first two had visible cracks running upwards from the front of the mag catch screw slot area, this one didn't have any visible cracks just the broken ledge under the trigger bow slot. All 3 had a slightly crumbly looking area at the top rear of the mag catch 'keyhole'.

Is the SVI grip frame any different in this area? If it weren't midnite and I wasn't so lazy I guess I could go dig my Limited blaster out of the safe and look for myself.

I just changed my STI trigger to a longer flat blank and noticed that the area where the sides of the bow rub the grip , the plastic is worn off and the surface is fragmented and irregular. I have about 15k rounds on this grip and probably as many dry fire pulls as well. I have been using Brownells grease on this area , but have only had the grip off a couple of times to lube it. It looks like there is metal behind the plastic that lines the bow slot in the grip and the trigger still feels ok so I'm going to keep using it the way it is. I also would be interested to hear what the proper way to remove the grip is.

Bill

Thanks Benny! I think I'm removing and installing them correctly by using a VERY large hammer. Sometimes I even remember to remove the screws on the first try! :D

I've always just removed all the screws and inserts, held the frame at a 45 degree angle in my left hand with my little and ring fingers in the trigger guard and my thumb over the tang end of the frame Then just pulled the grip straight apart with my right hand.

The grips are several years old and are breaking in the mag catch area. There is a little ledge that sticks out forming the bottom front of the trigger bow slot right above the keyhole shaped mag catch hole.

If I get the time I'll post a photo of the break.

• 2 months later...

Flex,

I'm no gunsmith, but I found on my STI that the left grip screw (slide release side) would consistently shoot loose. This expressed itself with an extra click/catch in the trigger pull. I finally got sick of retightening it, and sparingly loc-tited it with the blue. So far so good.