Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dad that blames me for his child's mistake

Bill M

Last week two obviously intoxicate young men came through where I work (it not in a populated area). The temp is -5 degrees and a fair bit of wind. They were walking through at a snails pace so I asked them what they were doing. The boys replied "walking to our dad's cabin" followed by telling me to mind my own business. 30 minutes later they made 3 minutes progress and another 20 minutes they made it to the top of a small hill and promptly fell over. I was just going to head out, but watched for a 20 minutes more they hadn't moved. I call the local cop (I would have gone myself, but they confrontational during our 1st encounter).

Yesterday the one boy's father came into my office all mad. He told me I just ruined his boy's chances. The father said the boy just sign up with the military special forces. It turns out he is starting basic training in 3 week and hope to become a Navy seal.

I told the father I was worried about the well being of his son and lost fingers or toes would do more harm than his minor consumption.

Number one - you did the right thing.

Number two...don't fall for the guilt trip crap regarding the Navy Seals. NOBODY enlists for the SEALS (Ok, maybe The Rock or Stallone). You enlist in the Navy and apply for BUDS. Trust me, there are no guarantee's. If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone laying down that line.....

You did exactly the right thing and should be congratulated and the father should have come by to express his heartfelt thanks...a corpse is not valuable to any branch of the service, except maybe the Army Medical Corps to conduct cadaver training on, which I dont even know if they do or not.

It brings to my mind the scene in Tropic Thunder where Tom Cruise's character, Les Grossman is having a video conference with the cast and crew and he asks who the Grip is.....and then points at the Director and tells the Grip to "Hit that man...really HARD!" That's exactly what the father needs...a good ole fashioned dose of wake up and look around.

In this day of no personal responsibility, if you had not acted, the odds are the father would be bringing a lawsuit against you for a whole host of potential things...negligence, denied future earnings, paternal pain and suffering, etc. and probably done very well with the suit, but that is a whole'nother thread.

I assure you the last type of young man any Special unit is looking for is the type that would let their father fight their battles for them...just as soon recruit the father and eliminate the dead weight. Add to that the fact that if he has signed up to go in, I am sure the recruiter explained to him the consequences of messing up before his report date....so as pointed out, his judgement is suspect and not the guy I would like to entrust the future of my, and my children's way of life with. That's not to say there isnt a job for him somewhere in the mililtary, probably just not on the pointy end of the Big Stick.

"Special Forces" used to mean a particular Army unit that wore Green Berets...and "Special Operations Forces" or SOF used be those elements Dept of Defense-wide with specialized capabilities that were tasked by the National Command Authority...and this included Rangers, SEALS, SF, Civil Affairs, Psychological Operations, etc. The press has gotten it wrong so much that now SF or Special Forces is generally accepted to mean what SOF used to...so this guy could have signed up for a whole host of units not requiring a clearance at all. The only thing hurt for sure right now is his pride and better that than the ghost pain of missing apendages, or worse....

You did the right thing and it won't keep them from claiming to be SEALs, Green Berets, "Operators" or anything else at gun stores and gun shows all around the country...which is about as close to either of those they are likely to get.

You did the right thing and it won't keep them from claiming to be SEALs, Green Berets, "Operators" or anything else at gun stores and gun shows all around the country...which is about as close to either of those they are likely to get.

Father and Son Mall :ph34r: s! :roflol::roflol:

Yesterday the one boy's father came into my office all mad. He told me I just ruined his boy's chances. The father said the boy just sign up with the military special forces. It turns out he is starting basic training in 3 week and hope to become a Navy seal.

That won't keep him out of the military.

Also, wanting to be a Navy Seal and becoming one are two very different things. I want to fly fighter jets for the Air Force . . . :roflol:

It could keep him out. I was a USAF Recruiter for four years. Any open law violations and you can't go to Basic.

Wow - I guess the USMC wasn't that strict in 1984 when I went to boot :rolleyes:

I would have guessed that in times of war, those things would be loosened up . . .

My nephew just enlisted. I recommended that he go AF or Navy, but he was too thick to listen.

The AF is the only service that mostly sends its OFFICERS to fight.