Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loosing power in the winter storm and...

steel1212

Therefore can't record my shooting shows, and others, on Wednesday night!!!! :angry2:

Tell me about it! We're hearing 2-4 weeks in town, 6-8 weeks on the farm before we get electricity. How long are they telling you?

Just got power back today. I didn't really care for it to come back on but it's on. It was good to be alone with the dog but then again it's nice to have the family back in the house. They bailed on me on day one. It was eventful to say the least. Good training!!! Funny how people act when folks lose essential nessecities. Especially at the gas pump.

I feel bad for the folks in the rest of Western KY. Man they got it rough and it's going to be a while for them.

Chris C.

Edited by Chris Conley

You should always keep a backup. I like the old Kerosene heaters and keep 10 gallons on hand. That plus a couple of propane tanks for grill. I can make hot drinks, soup, grilled sandwichs on Kerosene heater and full meal on grill. Keep a small generator, big enough to run a window shaker AC, Refrig, and the well. Then I can bath, sleep, have beer and watch Sat TV. run your generator off a outboard motor tank, that way you can refill it and not be pouring over a hot engine. Get a smoke alarm that monitor CO also. All this stuff can be had for well under a grand. Hot or Cold outside I can still live in comfort without any Utils. At first sign of storm, stock up on Gasoline. I keep two empty 55 gallon drums. First sign of trouble I fill them up, an then use it in car if theres any left. Also keep ample supply of oil for generator. Lots of garden hose laid in the sun makes for nice warm showers, I even let my better looking neighbors bath in my front yard.

Things will get worse .......

If you really want to get green put in geothermal heating and cooling. Your bury a couple thousand feet of plastic line filled with antifreeze. Then steal your heat or AC from ground. Will still need a good size generator, but this will save you lots of money all year. If you'v got the land and bury the lines yourself it not real expensive either.

Edited by cking

Man, I feel sorry for you folks in the cold areas of the country w/o power to your homes. Here in the Southeast, the few things mentioned above get us by during hurricane season, but I know it must be tough to do it in the winter where it is truly cold.

I suspect a wood-burning stove is probably your friend :surprise:

fwiw

dj