Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Model 17-8

Mikej

If I remember correctly..... :wacko: The very first 10 shot cylinders were made of Aluminum or some variant of metal, and then later into the current stainless cylinder. I shot one of the very first ones down in Garden City KS back in the 90s and it was blued and not a steel cylinder......FWIW..... :ph34r:

DougC

Per the thread, they are all good! and the DS units should work fine as well with them.....LOL

If I remember correctly..... :wacko: The very first 10 shot cylinders were made of Aluminum or some variant of metal, and then later into the current stainless cylinder.

DougC

I've always wondered how long the cylinder stop notches survived on the aluminum cylinders. I put a 10 shot cylinder in my 617-1 and considered the aluminum cylinder, they are still available.

If I remember correctly..... :wacko: The very first 10 shot cylinders were made of Aluminum or some variant of metal, and then later into the current stainless cylinder.

DougC

I've always wondered how long the cylinder stop notches survived on the aluminum cylinders. I put a 10 shot cylinder in my 617-1 and considered the aluminum cylinder, they are still available.

Hi Tom

Are they available from S&W? I could not find them in Brownell's catalog. Tks.

Hi Tom

Are they available from S&W? I could not find them in Brownell's catalog. Tks.

Might call S&W. I don't see them in Brownells anymore. It think it's been longer than I thought since I changed my -1 to 10 shot.

The blued version with the Aluminum cylinder was the 17-8, I'm not certain about the stainless. I've asked most everybody I've come across with one of these models about the reliability of the aluminum cyl. and have not heard one complaint yet although most people do not shoot as much as us in the benoverse.

• 2 months later...

:surprise:

Im curious to know about the aluminum cylinders and how they have held up, Ive got one

Im going to use in a project, since Im sorta knew to the revolvers as far as gunsmithing/competition=

my knowledge of these type of things is limited, any info would be of a help to my decisions.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :devil::blink: