Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire

Mikej

I have been thinking about getting a 617 and it started me thinking about the rimfire shooting I have done. Rimfire benchrest is something I do a bit, but one of my most vivid memories occurred many years ago. A friend was shooting an old Luger style rimfire pistol. He pulled the trigger and nothing happened. After waiting at least 10 seconds he started to move the pistol and the round fired. Have any of you had a similar experience?

I've had them 'hang fire' (correct term) by maybe even as long as 2 seconds but not any longer than that. I have always been told to wait at least 10 seconds after a misfire to clear though I am not sure where the number came from.

I had a hangfire once with some cheapo factory .45. Forget the brand now. I was at a small idpa match. Gun went 'click' and I started to clear the "malfunction." Just then it went 'bang' as I was about to grab the slide. RO confirmed he saw my finger was NOT near the trigger. Round just caught the top of the berm. Scary. The first and only time I have personally seen one.

-rvb

I've also had the old ammo experience. My dad received a bolt-action WWI rifle in payment for work one time, and the ammo that came with it must have been original. There was usually a 1 to 3 second delay before the round would go off. That gun has been in the safe ever since :) .