Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

any 45 gappers out there?

sheik_djibouti

i may soon have access to a whole sh*tload of .45 gap brass. i didn't consider it seriously in the past b/c of the ammo costs and the lack of brass availability, but now i'm forced to re-examine the situation. anyone out there happy with how it is shooting for them in production? besides the 37 and xd, are there any other viable options? thx-

I figured by now somebody else would have an opinion on this but since nobody has... In my opinion, if you can get a bunch of brass free and already have a gun chambered for it go for it! Heavy bullets moved slow with fast powders shoot really soft. For Production you only need 125PF. A 230 grain bullet only has to be going 545 fps to make PF.

Now in my opinion if you have to go out a buy a gun chambered for the 45 GAP the situation changes a bit and comes down to how much free brass you can get. To justify the purchase price of a new gun just to shoot it you'd better be able to get a 5+ year supply guaranteed. Preferably at once so you KNOW you have it. Otherwise I don't think it pays to buy a gun just shoot a year... Unless you are looking to justify the purchase of a new gun, LOL!!

I figured by now somebody else would have an opinion on this but since nobody has... In my opinion, if you can get a bunch of brass free and already have a gun chambered for it go for it! Heavy bullets moved slow with fast powders shoot really soft. For Production you only need 125PF. A 230 grain bullet only has to be going 545 fps to make PF.

Now in my opinion if you have to go out a buy a gun chambered for the 45 GAP the situation changes a bit and comes down to how much free brass you can get. To justify the purchase price of a new gun just to shoot it you'd better be able to get a 5+ year supply guaranteed. Preferably at once so you KNOW you have it. Otherwise I don't think it pays to buy a gun just shoot a year... Unless you are looking to justify the purchase of a new gun, LOL!!

I'm not sure but I think some revo shooters use it in their 625s.

Mag extensions would not be legal in Production though you could shoot Limited 10 with it.

i looked over the production rules before starting down this road, and i didnt see where it said it would be illegal. it clearly states no mag extensions for ipsc production, but for uspsa it only had an overall mag length limit. help me out here...

If it involves buying a gun in GAP, don't bother. If you were getting Loaded GAP ammo by the ton, fine, but otherwise don't.

The cost in shooting lies in the bullet, not the brass.

how dare you try and keep me from pissing away my money :P

you make a good point, although with 230gr fmj's going 550fps, i could prolly reload the bullets 2 or 3 times before having to give up on them...

:roflol:

If it involves buying a gun in GAP, don't bother. If you were getting Loaded GAP ammo by the ton, fine, but otherwise don't.

The cost in shooting lies in the bullet, not the brass.

how dare you try and keep me from pissing away my money :P

you make a good point, although with 230gr fmj's going 550fps, i could prolly reload the bullets 2 or 3 times before having to give up on them...

:roflol:

Well ...... LOL ..... at 550fps you should be able to pick them out of the cardboard target and not get the bullets dirty......sure, some might consider recycling, I guess ... :-)

Shooting on the cheap.

if this requires a new topic, pls lmk.

ok, how about this hypothetical...

i have a xd .45 acp.

i purchase a custom barrel for said gun, but chambered in .45 gap.

assuming the gap will work with a acp breachface, extractor and ejector, do you guys think this will work?

i understand that the mags will have a little room front to back, but perhaps if i load the rounds a bit long??

:unsure: