Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disconnector leg loosing tension

Raudi

Hi folks,

I had an incident off hammer follow. I was able to trace it to a lack of pressure on the disconnector. So I set up the spring with more tension and monitored it closely. After having reinstalled the spring it seemed to me, as if the disconnector was loosing pressure again. My conclusion was, that a new sear spring is in order, since it is loosing pressure. Please confirm or are there other problems that could lead to a decrease in pressure on the disconnect.

Thanks for your help!

What type of gun is it happening to. If it is an S_I polymer gripped gun make sure the grip screws that attach the grip to the frame are tight. Found that problem with my gun today. Interesting that the disconnector tang is losing pressure as it has to provide very little due to it's tiny movement. If your gun is a Para keep in mind that they require a unique sear spring that is longer in overall length.

CYa,

Pat

What type of gun is it happening to. If it is an S_I polymer gripped gun make sure the grip screws that attach the grip to the frame are tight. Found that problem with my gun today. Interesting that the disconnector tang is losing pressure as it has to provide very little due to it's tiny movement. If your gun is a Para keep in mind that they require a unique sear spring that is longer in overall length.

CYa,

Pat

Thanks for the answers. The guns is a plymer gripped STI with a Dawson Signature trigger group installed. I'll check the grip screws, but I don't see, how grip screws or hammer sear combination could change the pressure on the disconnector. And I am positive, that there is a change there. But I'll check nevertheless. Thanks again.

As far as changing the sear spring pressure consider what the sear spring is anchored in...the slot in the polymer grip. The (from the rear) left and center leg of the sear spring act on the sear and disconnector which are "mounted" in the frame with the sear pin. Any change in the relationship of the grip and the frame will cause a change in sear spring pressure on the sear and the disconnector. Loose srews will cause this problem. Not saying this is your problem but could cause it and it takes about 30 seconds to check.

CYa,

Pat

Thanks for all the answers. Checked the screws and they look tight (thanks for explaining what they have to do with following). Grip doesn't seem to have cracks. The hammer follows all the way down, but without the firing pin striking the primer. The reason I know it is the disconnector tension is, that the disconnector wasn't going up, until I added more pressure on it. Then it ran fine, and the trigger (takeup) got lighter and lighter again, until it started following again. After readjusting the spring the whole game starts over again. As a matter of fact the gun doesn't follow right now, but I think it is only a matter of time before the problem is going to resurface. And by the way, having to shoot the gun with so much tension on the takeup is a problem, even if it's not following.

I have yet to check on possible contact between strut and sear spring, but that sounds reasonable to me.

Thanks again!