Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solved my reloading problem tonight

Pittbug

My reloads were always very inconsistent. I could never quite understand why I was so bad at them. I'm (well I used to be) quite sporty and coordinated at school, so I found it quite frustrating that I could never hit my reloads consistently. Because I can't reach the magazine release button without shifting my grip, I had always assumed that I was shifting my grip differently every time, placing the magazine opening in a slightly different position in my hand.

After doing a few Burkett reloads, it suddenly dawned on me what I'd been doing wrong. After pressing the magazine release button, the magazine would start to eject and I'd relax my grip even before the fresh mag was anywhere near the opening. This meant that the butt of the grip was moving around in space when the fresh mag was being brought up to it. No wonder I couldn't be consistent with my reloads, I was giving myself a moving target.

So now I press the mag release button and hold it down, concentrating on keeping the gun motionless. It's amazing how much easier it is to find the magazine opening and start the fresh mag going in when the grip isn't moving!

I can't believe I've been making this silly mistake for so long, but on the flip side, I'm really happy that I've figured that out by myself.

Ok, the next thing I noticed and fixed tonight was that I wasn't paying enough attention to being aware of how I was gripping the fresh mag as I draw it from the pouch. I found that if I was looking at the magazine opening but shifted my mental focus to my support hand and how I was gripping the magazine, I was able to get even more consistent.

I wonder what I'll "see" tomorrow night....

The cool part is when you really don't have to think about it at all. You know a reload is needed and it just happens. The weak hand pulls the mag and you see it into the magwell with no real thinking involved. Like tying your shoe. You know it needs doing and you execute and are watching yourself do it but are you really thinking about the steps it takes to tie your shoe?

AL

Ok, the next thing I noticed and fixed tonight was that I wasn't paying enough attention to being aware of how I was gripping the fresh mag as I draw it from the pouch. I found that if I was looking at the magazine opening but shifted my mental focus to my support hand and how I was gripping the magazine, I was able to get even more consistent.

I wonder what I'll "see" tomorrow night....

The index finger on your weak hand is the key. I tend to get lazy with this especially on burn reloads during stand and shoot stages. I also wear progressive lens glasses, which can distort depth perception, making the weak hand index finger even more critical.

The cool part is when you really don't have to think about it at all. You know a reload is needed and it just happens. The weak hand pulls the mag and you see it into the magwell with no real thinking involved. Like tying your shoe. You know it needs doing and you execute and are watching yourself do it but are you really thinking about the steps it takes to tie your shoe?

AL

Yes, absolutely, I WILL get to that point. But since I'm fairly new to the game, I'm starting from the beginning and working things out. I'd never really practiced them before while paying so much attention to what I'd doing.

The index finger on your weak hand is the key. I tend to get lazy with this especially on burn reloads during stand and shoot stages. I also wear progressive lens glasses, which can distort depth perception, making the weak hand index finger even more critical.

That's what I was paying close attention to last night and it really helped. Previously I knew I had to do that, but I was so focussed on the position of the gun and looking at the mag opening, that I wasn't aware of my hand position on the mag.

One last thing :)

"It's strong hand, support hand, because there's nothing weak about what I do" --Scott Warren