Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

155 bullets in 45

apdsgt806

This is my first post here and I need some input on powders and loads for use with a 155gg LSWC bullet in 45 ACP. I have not loaded any rounds for 45 for many years. I recently pulled my old comped single stack 1911 out of the safe and would like to play with it again. When I competed with it years ago I had worked up a load with WSL that worked great and had no trouble hitting the old USPSA 175 power factor. Now I discovered that WSL is no longer made. I do not intend to compete with it, I just need a load that will be accurate and hot enough to make the comp work.

Wow - 155s and a comped .45 - that is a blast from the past!

As far as getting the comp to work with the low pressures generated by .45, that will be tricky. Luckily, you can use anything from the very fastest powder out there (Solo 1000, V V N310 and Clays) all the way to the slowest (N350, N105).

To get the pressures up, I would think that a fast burning powder would be appropriate. BUT, to generate enough gas volume for the comp, wouldn't a slower powder be in order?

I only played around with National 152s and a friends comped Caspian SS .45 - I never shot it in competition. I'll leave the secrets to others to reveal (since I don't know the secret).

WOW!! Blast from the past. I totally forgot about the Vic Lite load data insert. I bought my first Vic Lites at the first USPSA Nationals held at PASA Park. I shot mine from a 3 chamber, 4 port comp of my own design, built by Jake Kempton at Accuracy Speaks. While the .38Super single stacks were still THE gun to shoot, most mistook my .45 for a Super because it stayed so flat.

Accurate arms has loads for AA #2, #5, #7, N100 and S1000. One favorite load site I found adds these MAX loads: Bullseye 6.9gr, Unique 7.8gr, Universal 7.6gr, Clays 5.2gr, HP38 8.0gr, and WW540 8.5gr. Standard warnings apply. YMMV.

I have been running 7.6 of Universal Clays for about 10 years now, and it chrono's between 1175 [lowest ever] and 1220 [highest ever] at matches and a consistant 1200 FPS on my chrono. It's clean-ish, makes good smoke and works in every .45 I have except my Glocks.

I just wish I could find another source for .45 155 LSWC's. I am down to my last couple thousand and have no source for new ones :angry2: If anyone knows of any bulletcasters that are still doing 155's, feel free to email me [rather than cluttering up this guy's thread]