Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Saiga 12rd. mag issue

psyops

HELP !!

Just got my 2 new Surefire 12 rd. mags in and they won't lock into the magwell. Anybody else having this problem?

My Saiga 12 is an '08 model and the AGP 10 rd. mags work perfectly.

The design between the Surefires and the AGP are just a little different. I think my dremel can cure it, but I wondered if anybody else had a seating issue besides me. <_<

Thanks for any and all advice.

-Mike

Just got mine last week and they go in the front good but when I would try to seat them they would not go in. The backs are a little square. I just played with them for a few second to round the edges a little and all is good!

From my blackberry

Just got mine last week and they go in the front good but when I would try to seat them they would not go in. The backs are a little square. I just played with them for a few second to round the edges a little and all is good!

From my blackberry

THANKS !! That's what I thought. And thanks for the help.

Just got my order of 6 today. My observation is this: AGP's are a little better made....Surefire are good but not quite as good as the AGP's. After fitting (very minor) the Surefire fit nice and snug in the gun..the AGP's have some slight movement. If you are fitting to the standard mag well you just need to hand file some material off the rear catch. Springs in the AGP mags seem just a bit more stiff.

I will give them a try tomorrow.

FYI, I stumbled across a thread today about Surefire mags breaking when fired with very hot loads (link). Hopefully this will not be such an issue for 3-gunners as we shoot mostly birdshot comp loads, but the new Surefire mag owners might want to keep an eye on their new mags to make sure no cracks etc develop and trip them up in matches. Hopefully, if this is a real issue, Surefire will fix it in short order.

As far as mags not fitting way back when I used OEM 5 round mags I did have to file a little bit of my mag well so they would seat. Back then I used to shoot with my son eventually I bought him a Saiga-12 so I have a lot of mags now OEM 5s, 8, and AGPs all mags have to function in both weapons and they do. Also back in the old days we Saiga pioneers would pool our 8s so my guns would have to accept other Saiga shooters mags thats why I opened the mag well a little. Now days with not only OEM mags but several other MFRs of mags a Saiga owner can sand the mag or file the gun which ever he/she wants to do. I have not yet bought any 12 round mags. I'm pretty well supplied with mags at the moment.

UPDATE-- A little Dremmel goes a long way. I dremmeled the back face a little and rounded it off some and now the mag fits snuggly in the receiver.

I guess what I don't get is how a manufacturer puts out a product that doesn't really fit or work right. I'm not mad, just more aware.

Thanks for all the advice and help, this forum is hands down -- THE BEST !

UPDATE-- A little Dremmel goes a long way. I dremmeled the back face a little and rounded it off some and now the mag fits snuggly in the receiver.

I guess what I don't get is how a manufacturer puts out a product that doesn't really fit or work right. I'm not mad, just more aware.

The problem is not the mags. If you take measurements from 10 Saiga's, you will get 10 different measurements. There is no standard. These are AK receivers. Surefire used 8 different guns for testing and used the middle measurements for the magazine specs. They are designed to fit tight, which means some guns will be tighter than others.

There has been 1 person that broke the front lip off of a Surefire mag using 3"magnum buckshot. I have had a dozen customers that have broke the front lip off of their AGP's shooting the same 3" magnum buckshot load.

Surefire has a 5yr warranty, AGP does not.

Surefire has been made aware of this problem and is working on it.

I tested boxes of 2 3/4 00 Rem. express buckshot with no problems. I also tested 3" turkey loads with no problems.

I hope it is an isolated case.

Edited by Greg Q

The problem is not the mags. If you take measurements from 10 Saiga's, you will get 10 different measurements. There is no standard. These are AK receivers. Surefire used 8 different guns for testing and used the middle measurements for the magazine specs. They are designed to fit tight, which means some guns will be tighter than others.

There has been 1 person that broke the front lip off of a Surefire mag using 3"magnum buckshot. I have had a dozen customers that have broke the front lip off of their AGP's shooting the same 3" magnum buckshot load.

Surefire has a 5yr warranty, AGP does not.

Surefire has been made aware of this problem and is working on it.

I tested boxes of 2 3/4 00 Rem. express buckshot with no problems. I also tested 3" turkey loads with no problems.

I hope it is an isolated case.

Greg

Thanks for the heads up on 'magnum' loads. Thank God I'm too wimpy to shoot those. I'm more of a low recoil guy.

And yes I'm sure you are correct about the ten different sizes of receivers. I had heard that too. Just glad Surefire has the initiative/professionalism to produce a mag that they stand behind for 5 years !!

Thanks for advice.

-Mike

Guess we know why Ivan put steel in the OEM magazines.

Would have done this with an edit but could not, www.rusmilitary.com has 8s in stock right now! You can drive a tank over one to these and not hurt it I suggest getting at least one for slug stages or speed stages they have a better feed angle than after market mags. I want to make a good impression at blackwater tomorrow so I plan to use my 8 round mags.

Guess we know why Ivan put steel in the OEM magazines.

Would have done this with an edit but could not, www.rusmilitary.com has 8s in stock right now! You can drive a tank over one to these and not hurt it I suggest getting at least one for slug stages or speed stages they have a better feed angle than after market mags. I want to make a good impression at blackwater tomorrow so I plan to use my 8 round mags.

I think that is around $140-$150 U.S. with the Euro exchange. I will stick with the 13rd Surefire's. All of the one's I have been using have worked flawless and I am pretty rough with them. We have sold several thousand and have had great feedback.

Edited by Greg Q