Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

racegun stove pipes

ashman627

I have a new to me race gun in 38 super.Sti frame,caspain slide and I know little else about.I had some problems with jams which were fixed with a egw sizing die.Now I'm having stove pipes.I'm a experienced 1911 shooter and was not limp wristing it.In fact that was my first thought and I made sure and even switched back to my 1911 with no problems.Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ashley

what pound recoil spring are you using? too much spring and not enough powder will cause stove pipes.

lynn

+1

I'm assuming it's an Open gun since it's in .38 Super. If it is, consider that many Open guns won't run with much more than a 9-10lb spring in them.

Make sure the chamber is reasonably clean, check that the extractor tunnel is also clean and then try various recoil springs. Also, it'd help if we knew roughly what sort of load was being used. If it's not reasonably close to Major then it's very likely a light recoil spring will be necessary.

G-ManBart +11 Another thing to look at is the ejector and make sure it is hitting the spent case in the right location. If it is hitting the brass too low it will throw the case into the bottom side of the scope mount and result in stove pipes as well.

Joe W.

The bottom line is you need a good smith... no matter what we tel you here, it's likely you will have to have a smith install or make the changes.

Ejection angle can do it the ejector length and strike point. Even a mags can cause it.

Get it to a good smith and let them work the bugs out for you. ;)