Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last minute practice session ruined by gun jam

bbbean

We're having a slow afternoon at the office, and there's a match tomorrow, so I run home early enough to squeeze off a hundred rounds or so in the back yard before the sun gets too low in the sky. I decide to try a box of ammo that I won at a match, and round #10 jams the gun tighter than a drum. Don't know if it was the ammo, the gun, or just one of those flukes that happens every so often, but I'm now spending the evening trying to figure out how to get the slide to cycle instead of relaxing after a good practice session.

Grrrrrrrrr..... :angry2:

Do you know the trick of holding the slide very tight and Slamming your shooting hand into the grip real hard?

If we ever shoot a match together, the first post-match round is on me! I used my boot instead of my hand (Maybe we should call that the Kruschev method), but sure enough a couple of good whacks did what all my concerted pulling and pushing failed to do.

Still not sure what caused the problem. Ejector and extractor look fine, mag looks fine, and the gun cycles just fine. Ran a mag full of my usual ammo (Atlanta Arms) through the gun and everything works like it should.

The round itself looked fine, but when I compared it to another round from th esame box, it was a little shorter. Not sure if it got jammed into the case in the jam, or if the length caused the jam.

At any rate, Precision Delta seems to have a good rep so I'll just chalk this up to one round that went bad. But I'll wait til AFTER the match to try the rest of the sample pak!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by bbbean

If it's that tight, it's usually ammo.

Jamie, it's practice....time for a small hammer and save the hand.

The Kruschev method was pretty effective - and easy on the hand!

Edited by bbbean

We had a guy at last nights CHL requalification shooting a Steyr GB. His gun locked up so tight I had to put it in the vise and beat it open. We asked what kind of ammo he was using and found out it was Chinese surplus. His answer, "But it was cheap".

I have seen some of the PD bullets as big as .403" in diameter for a 40 cal, they will lock a gun up TIGHT. I'd measure the diameter of the bullet....

My calipers are at the office, but an eyeball exam suggests this could the issue.

Thanks.