Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

We all like to tinker with our OPEN Race guns but....

Freddie the Swede

What makes us wanna tinker with our guns?

What's your day job and other hobbies?

Answering this might tell you why we are so interested in our guns technically speaking.

I'm first since I popped the question.

Work: Marketing assistant / Desktop publisher

Other hobbies: Motocross/Enduro, Hunting, plastic scale models (tanks, military wehicles, airplanes and such),

Hobby gunsmithing, movies, traveling and of couarse my lovely girlfriend Anna and my little 1 year old son Ivan.

Started shooting in 1985 and am still doing it.

Best regards

Fredrik Lundbeck

IPSC Tyresö

SWEDEN

What makes us wanna tinker with our guns?

What's your day job and other hobbies?

Answering this might tell you why we are so interested in our guns technically speaking.

I'm first since I popped the question.

Work: Marketing assistant / Desktop publisher

Other hobbies: Motocross/Enduro, Hunting, plastic scale models (tanks, military wehicles, airplanes and such),

Hobby gunsmithing, movies, traveling and of couarse my lovely girlfriend Anna and my little 1 year old son Ivan.

Started shooting in 1985 and am still doing it.

Best regards

Fredrik Lundbeck

IPSC Tyresö

SWEDEN

I work on my guns because I want to increase my knowledge of how they work and what might cause certain problems. That way I might be able to fix something in a short period of time instead of having to send it out to a smith.

That being said I have worked on ALL of my guns except the new SJC Glock 17. That I refuse to mess with and will have the guys at SJC handle any problems. It runs great now and I do not want to ruin that.

Edit:

I am a commercial loan officer at a small community bank.

Hobbies include hunting just about every season up here in Maine and just about as many shooting sports as I can get myself into without my wife killing me :ph34r:

Edited by Jay6

I do Instrumention and Controls work for a large public owned utility.

However, my open gun ran when I bought it a year ago and I haven't had any reason to work on it. I keep it clean....kinda, and well lubricated. I feed it quality reloads and it just runs. I guess if I had to, I would dive right in if it broke.

As for my limited guns and revolvers, I love tinkering with them. :cheers:

fwiw

dj

I was a plant operator, running the equipment to make polyethylene plastic. It went in to plastic film and milk jugs. We made 250,000 lbs a day. I was down sized out of that job (12 yrs) then went back to school and became a Nurse, RN.

I started shooting a couple of years into the first job.

I work on my guns because I like to understand how they work. An intellectual exercise. I was a pretty good trouble shooter. Some at my old club called me 'the gunsmith', which I most definately am not. But I could usually work out why something went wrong.

Now most guns are so reliable there is not much need to troubleshoot. So we just bull(et) shoot.

I'm a fitness professional and educator by trade... I've been a personal Trainer for 13+ years. Now I am running a school that teaches/certifies new Personal Trainers. I train clients from 6am to about 10am, and again from 4pm until classes start at 5pm, and then I teach from 5-10pm. I golf and shoot all day long from 10-4... Yes, I'm single. And I sleep about 4-5hrs per night.

My education and first job, was Mechanical/Aeronautical Engineer... I tinker with everything. If it has a screw on the back, I've likely taken it apart... EXCEPT electronics... I'm a Mechanical Engineer....

I build/tweak my own golf clubs.

I've never driven a factory-stock car or truck.

Now... I tweak my guns...

The guns are the newest hobby/obsession. I don't own an Open gun yet... But I won't be able to stand shooting Production for long. There's only so much you can do in the way of "internal" modifications. I'll have to buy an Open gun eventually so I can REALLY play... Or maybe I'll just turn my S&W M&P Pro into a 9mm Major Open gun... full race... hmmmmm... Damn you, Freddie...

JeffWard

I have been a mechanical engineer/toolmaker/machinist for the last 20+ years. I have always been a gun tinkerer. A couple years ago I finally set up a machine shop at home and immediately started making guns. That was around the same time I started shooting USPSA. I made all the guns I compete with. I assembled them on receivers that I cut from bar stock. I just finished an aluminum upper for my MKII to run rimfire steel.

Shooting sports are rewarding, but doing it with something you crafted yourself makes it all the more sweet.

Work: Mining Engineer, commercial explosives consultant.

Other Hobbies?? Ummm, reloading... RO'ing?

As an engineer I'm very particular in what I want in a gun, to the point of creating isometric ACAD drawings to convey my ideas to the gunsmith. Just to be sure what I'm thinking can be done and will work. I know, it probably drives them crazy.... I can't help it.